Ultra Torque crank bolt washer in Ultra Torque disintegrated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
I've been tinkering with an old Ultra torque crankset. After failing to sort out a wobble/looseness on the UT I switched the outboard BB for a traditional square taper BB and put some old ISO cranks back on. Fine but it's not a compact so the small chain ring is a 39T not a 34T.

The bike is an old ( Ie not one of my first choice bikes) aluminium Pearson Audax and I've recently put some Schwable marathons on it and been trail/ off road riding . Great fun...however it would be nice to to have the 34T.

I've been fiddling about with the old Ultra Torque crank. I repacked the bearings and cleaned it all up but noticed the crank bolt washer had broken up inside the crank. When I put a rag it to clean off the grease about a third of a washer, in bits, fell out. I don't seem to be able to buy a replacement new washer on its own. Two questions:

A. Could that have been the source of the wobble?
B. Will refitting the bolt without a washer be a bad idea?

This is all non-critical/ using old kit and mucking about stuff so I'm not into spending lots of money.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Do you mean the wavy washer? Easily available for pennies - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/campagnolo-ultra-torque-cup-washer/rp-prod52660

Top Bottom