Umm hello!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beetlebug

Hi. I'm Becka. I use a lot of other forums but haven't used a cycling forum for a while, mainly because I haven't cycled a lot recently. However I am climbing Ventoux in July and am in serious training for it so thought I'd hang out with some other riders in an attempt to motivate myself. And dig for info. And to avoid climbing back on the turbo...!

I used to do a lot of audax rides but they stopped when I had my boy 7 years ago. I'm keen to start again tho, once I can teach him how to ride a bike..! I try and commute to work at least 3 times a week (it's only 5 miles each way so no biggie). But I don't like riding in Bradford much :becool: Especially not during rush hour!!

I've been riding for about 10 years now, commuting for most of that time but just haven't had time to get out and about more at the weekends. Plan Ventoux calls for some serious miles in my legs tho. The last mountain climbs I did properly were in 2001 (loads of Cols in the Pyrenees) so whilst I have experience of doing this type of ride I haven't done it for a looooooooong time. I have 18 weeks tho. And counting. Help!!!

B

shippers

Bradford is horrible, but it's only a short ride to some nice, hilly places! There's a few round West Yorks- you missed a ride from the top end of leeds up to Bolton Abbey a couple of weeks ago back. Sounded good, if you like that sort of thing. (I missed out after taking a bit of a tumble...)

Anyway, most people here seem ok, just avoid contentious subjects- should we wear helmets, for example.

Oh, Hi, by the way.

bauldbairn

Welcome to the CC forums Becka(Beetlebug). :biggrin:

Good luck with the Ventoux challenge and the rest of your cycling. :ohmy:

All the best.

Keith Oates

Janner
Hi Becka, welcome to CC and hope you enjoy the fun here as well as the fun of being back to some serious biking. As others have said get out as much as possible in the hills but don't go at it like a bull at a gate, build up gradually but always make sure you are working a little harder on each training ride. One of our members, The Doctor, did Ventoux not so long ago so give him a PM and he could maybe give some guidance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
B

beetlebug

shippers said:
Bradford is horrible, but it's only a short ride to some nice, hilly places! There's a few round West Yorks- you missed a ride from the top end of leeds up to Bolton Abbey a couple of weeks ago back. Sounded good, if you like that sort of thing. (I missed out after taking a bit of a tumble...)

Anyway, most people here seem ok, just avoid contentious subjects- should we wear helmets, for example.

Oh, Hi, by the way.

Thanks Shippers. I'm not that mad btw :ohmy:

Commuting in Bradford is pants (have been maliciously knocked off twice, ho hum) but the other riding in West Yorks is glorious. Now it's getting warmer I will be getting out more.

Hope your tumble wan't too bad. And glad to see that cycle helmets is still a dodgy topic. Not much has changed since my early days on uk.rec.cycling then!!

OP
OP
B

beetlebug

bauldbairn said:
Welcome to the CC forums Becka(Beetlebug). :biggrin:

Good luck with the Ventoux challenge and the rest of your cycling. :ohmy:

All the best.

Thank you :tired: Managed to commute today so that's another 5 miles under my belt. Who needs hills when you have wind...!

OP
OP
B

beetlebug

colly said:
Hi Becka,

:ohmy:

You should get plenty of support here !:biggrin:

If it is hilly rides you need to practice on there a good few organise by ColinJ from Hebden bridge. Keep an eye out in the CC and informal Rides, Clubs and Events

Probably a hilly one out of Leeds sometime soon too.

Colin.

Hello and thank you :tired:

I need to plan rides into my weekend - my other half cycles too and we have a 7 year old and no one to park him with (it's too hilly here and he's too heavy now for the trailer bike!!). So need to figure out some time where we can ride. Am using the turbo a lot at the moment but am sure I am soon going to get bored of that!

OP
OP
B

beetlebug

Keith Oates said:
Hi Becka, welcome to CC and hope you enjoy the fun here as well as the fun of being back to some serious biking. As others have said get out as much as possible in the hills but don't go at it like a bull at a gate, build up gradually but always make sure you are working a little harder on each training ride. One of our members, The Doctor, did Ventoux not so long ago so give him a PM and he could maybe give some guidance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello. Thanks for the advice :ohmy: I must remember that whilst I have lots of miles in my legs, they've been built up over the last decade lol!

I'll keep an eye out for the Doctor and his trip report!!

Top Bottom