UN72 NDS cups the same?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotsbikester

Question 1 - are the NDS cups on Shimano UN72 the same, regardless of spindle length?

Question 2 - are the NDS cups interchangeable between UN71, UN72 and UN73 (which has a plastic NDS cup, I believe)?

Question 3 - are NDS cups interchangeable between UN55 and UN7x series?

EDIT - Question 4 - come to think of it, are the DS cups on UN72 the same, regardless of spindle length? As the DS cups are removable on UN72

Any info gratefully received.

Thanks

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
I've got a bagful of bottom bracket bits and if I need a NDS cup I just pick one out of the bag and never had a problem. I'm pretty sure the same goes for the DS. It's the axle that changes.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As long as the threads are the same, they are interchangeable.
BB shells are the same size generally.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

Thanks. That's what I thought.

Thinking about it logically, a BB made for a 68mm shell must be the same length, as far as the cups tightening up are concerned. So it's only going to be the spindle that is longer on the sticky out bit. There wouldn't be any reason for Shimano to manufacture bottom brackets where the bearings are closer together/further apart depending on spindle length (within the same product line, that is).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There wouldn't be any reason for Shimano to manufacture bottom brackets where the bearings are closer together/further apart depending on spindle length (within the same product line, that is).
There wouldn't be any reason, no. But I bet they're tempted. Just for the hell of it.

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom