Unashamed Smokers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisz

Über Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']Having a discussion along these lines just t'other night, leading to 'well why don't you bloody buy your own then?'. Fair point. But as I explained, if I start buying it again, rather than poncing the occasional fag when I see mates, I'll start smoking again. And while I enjoy the occasional one or two, there's no way I ever want to be 'a smoker' again.[/quote]

Good on ya mate. I admire and envy your ability to have just the occasional odd one.

My Mrs is similar - she just decided to quit - no bother, no fuss.

Does smoking effect your cycling, lack of breath etc ?

Mr Pig said:
I would imagine that keeping fit would help clean out your lungs and reduce the effects of cigarette smoke. Don't know this as a fact, just a hunch.

If you stop smoking, do your lungs ever get back to how they would have been if you have never started?

col

Legendary Member
Still smoking here,everyday i think about stopping,not took the step yet.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:
If you stop smoking, do your lungs ever get back to how they would have been if you have never started?
I believe so. If you google 'quit smoking and your body repairs' you'll find all sort of info along those lines. Some of it admittedly - eg

"the good news is that when you quit smoking your body begins to repair itself. Ten years after you quit, your body has repaired most of the damage smoking caused"

- from companies trying to sell you stuff. But I think that broadly speaking it's true.

Mr Pig

beanzontoast said:
If you stop smoking, do your lungs ever get back to how they would have been?

I heard that they do, it was seven years I heard. I don't know though. My mother smoked heavily right through my childhood, including before I was born, and my lung capacity has always been rubbish. I can only hold me breath for about thirty seconds! I can't help thinking that her smoking has something to do with it.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
User1314 said:
I gave up 5 years ago.

I smoked rollies.

Loved it. Whole act of rolling up an Old Holborn in a pub, having a sup of Guinness before taking a smoke of the Holborn.

Me too - gave up the rollies 5 years ago, after 18 years of kippering my lungs. Never looked back since.

I just wanted my daughter to grow up and hopefully still have one healthy living parent around when she's in her 20s (her Mum has chronic pancreatitis and a pretty reduced life expectancy).

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm an occasional smoker, but I know fewer and fewer others with whom to enjoy a social smoke. A bit strangely, I can give up for long periods, then start again then stop again etc etc. F'rinstance, last Aug, went on hols with wife & kids and another family, knew that sneaking off for a fag would be difficult (kids have not frequently seen me smoke, and I don't really want them to) so I stopped. For 2 weeks. Then I started again (usually I'm about 5-10 a day). In a stopping phase at the mo, it's been a week.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Have only ever tried giving up for a few weeks, after a nasty chest infection. Didn't last.

Get through around 4 packs of 50g duty free baccy a month. Don't like cigarettes and certainly couldn't afford 20 a day!

snapper_37 said:
Get through around 4 packs of 50g duty free baccy a month. Don't like cigarettes and certainly couldn't afford 20 a day!

This is the main reason I started ... I used to cadge the odd one off workmates, but no one else smoked rollies. It got to the point where I thought I might as well start buying my own, because if I'm going to smoke, I might as well smoke something I enjoy smoking. Before that, I found I was smoking two or three spliffs every night, just for the nicotine hit, so at least I'm not doing that any more.

Top Bottom