Unbelievable Pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mburton1993

Über Member
So I bought a small pump with a pressure gauge from Amazon a while back, pretty quickly I became convinced the gauge was faulty as it was showing 45-50psi and the tyres felt like they were at bursting point.

Today, whilst buying oil and what have you I bought another pump, a foot pump with a gauge. I pumped the tyres to their maximum 115psi, holy sh*t, I don't think the first pump was faulty anymore!

The tyres are now completely unyielding, does anyone actually cycle at that psi? Must be properly uncomfortable right? And won't they just puncture immediately?

It's a road bike by the way, Continental GP 4000ii 28s.

Last edited:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Yeah. 120 pound in Summer, 100 in Winter on 25s

So I bought a small pump with a pressure gauge from Amazon a while back, pretty quickly I became convinced the gauge was faulty as it was showing 45-50psi and the tyres felt like they were at bursting point.

Today, whilst buying oil and what have you I bought another pump, a foot pump with a gauge. I pumped the tyres to their maximum 115psi, holy sh*t, I don't think the first pump was faulty anymore!

The tyres are now completely unyielding, does anyone actually cycle at that psi? Must be properly uncomfortable right? And won't they just puncture immediately?

Yes, I do. When your front tyre catches a small flint of about 5mm size and flings it at your opponents cycling buddies there is a pleasing reaction.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I run my 32s at 60/65psi Fr/Rr and that includes my 95kg and a rear pannier.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I like these tyres, since they are not undersized 28s as some seem to be. In fact, they measure about 29mm on 14mm rims at my preferred pressure.

And my preferred pressure for these tyres, on the craply-surfaced-and-maintained roads I have to contend with, is 50psi front 55psi rear. These are my optimum values taking into account comfort, rolling resistance and risk of pinch-punctures.

115psi in them would be bone-jarring, filling-jettisoning, grip-reducing madness.

Top Bottom