Unclipping on a hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

Do you use SPD (2 bolt cleats)? If so try the multi release SH-56 cleats so you can unclip all ways up. Also, check the tension on the cleats and loosen if needed (both sides if two sided pedals)

I unclip at the top of the pedal stroke I think, more leverage with a bent knee for me
thank you the multi release pedals might be well worth a look

Thanks but I am not sure that I can even unclip on the flat out of the saddle. Also I have always been told that you unclip your with your left foot?
Yes unclip the left pedal whilst out of the saddle with your weight resting on the right leg on the right pedal at its lowest - practice doing it while just drifting along on the flat

Ive never considered unclipping whilst still in the saddle - apart from anything else I would not be able to place my foot on the floor in that position

OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

Yes unclip the left pedal whilst out of the saddle with your weight resting on the right leg on the right pedal at its lowest - practice doing it while just drifting along on the flat

Ive never considered unclipping whilst still in the saddle - apart from anything else I would not be able to place my foot on the floor in that position
Yeah I look more like a ballerina when I unclip or have the bike at a ridiculous angle to rest my foot down

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The general theme here Louise is that you have to anticipate it before you stop. You can get caught out if you decide to unclip at the very last second.

Make sure the clips have the least tension possible until you get used to them.

Is it a fear of rolling back that scares you or falling sideways?

As long as you anticipate the stop, unclip but keep you foot on the pedal as you slow so you are ready to drop the foot when you stop. As you slow lean to the side of the unclipped foot and utillise the rear break. Practice unclipping on a slight slope, it's the same principle as a steep one. You just need to be firmer with the rear break to stop rolling back on those big hills.

Thanks - not sure what happened with me, just think I ran out of steam and was probably at a snails pace before unclipping but if I had done it earlier I would have lost even more power. Do you unclip at top or bottom pedal position?
I find it's easier to control an unclip at the top of the pedal stroke. Use the right leg against the top tube as a damper.

Sorry, wording not quite right, having moved forward off the saddle, you should be able to stand comfortably without dropping the bike too far down!

Auch, you'd never be able to pick yourself up of the floor with laughing
?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sherv.net%2Fcm%2Femo%2Flaughing%2Froflmao.gif
if I recounted the times I've toppled over cause of clips. In the past I would say control your fall but now I pop my foot out unconsciously. As time creeps on so will your skill.
(Touching the top my head) It's been quite I while since I hit the deck.
dizzy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Attachments

• ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sherv.net%2Fcm%2Femo%2Flaughing%2Froflmao.gif
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sherv.net%2Fcm%2Femo%2Flaughing%2Froflmao.gif
    326 bytes · Views: 52
  • dizzy-smiley-emoticon.gif
    dizzy-smiley-emoticon.gif
    113 KB · Views: 67

iggibizzle

I think some people, as with the other thread about falling off, are just not born to use spd's. I've never had an issue with them from the word go. But know people who have a mare every journey. Then again they can do things I cant. Maybe the knack is more complicated than we think.

OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

Is it a fear of rolling back that scares you or falling sideways?

As long as you anticipate the stop, unclip but keep you foot on the pedal as you slow so you are ready to drop the foot when you stop. As you slow lean to the side of the unclipped foot and utillise the rear break. Practice unclipping on a slight slope, it's the same principle as a steep one. You just need to be firmer with the rear break to stop rolling back on those big hills.
Falling over is my fear and my reality

Top Bottom