Uncomfortable brakes on handlebar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazy

Hi
Just promoted myself by buying a road bike viking vuelta (I know its not the best).
I have always used straight handlebar my previous bike was a barracuda ventos however this one has a bendy handlebar (I don't know whats the technical term).

Is it possible to add another pair of brakes clutches or some addition? Which can enable me to use the bike in like I am used to?

OP
OP
lazy

lazy

I meany to say brake levers not clutches

OP
OP
lazy

lazy

Learn to brake with your hands on the top of the brakes, it wont take long to get use to it.
Nothing wrong with Viking as a starter bike, I ride one.
Thanks Nigel I was underestimating viking lol
I am trying to learn but I can't concentrate on the road. .

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375968864231.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375968864231.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 44
The bars are known as drop handle bars, I had a quick look at the specs. the front is quite highly geared, so you might find hills quite tough with it to start. It doesn't say what the rear gears are.
The down tube shifters can be a little awkward for a beginner but will work fine, but again hills might be a little troublesome changing gear.

OP
OP
lazy

lazy

Thanks again .

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think these are the sort of thing you mean? Unless you are mechanically minded, you would be better probably finding a decent bike shop local to you to get them fitted.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cane-creek-crosstop-brake-levers/

Personally I would strongly advise against those and learn to ride on the hoods (the top of the brake levers) or with your hands just inside the hoods on the straight part of your bars.

Like millions I've ridden on drops for years but when I broke my right hand and dislocated my thumb it was months before I got the strength back to use the brake levers.

In the meantime I had those fitted and they work very well. The problem is when you take them off - which you will eventually - there will be a point when you need to react fast and brake quickly. At that point the risk is you'll grab at brake levers which aren't there - I know, I've done it with painful results.

vickster

Legendary Member

I have some spare ones that came off my bike as they were too big when I moved to a narrower bar. I'll do for a tenner delivered. You'll need to get the cables and fit them of course. PM me if interested

I have no intention of removing them, I don't really use the main brakes on that bike.

Top Bottom