Uncomfortable riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdamUK

Regular
Hello! I've got a question I'm hoping the more experienced can help me out with. I've had a Giant Roam 2 Hybrid bike for about 6 weeks now. I initially fitted some small bar ends and used the originally saddle. I'm 6 foot 2 and with an XL frame it felt really comfortable to ride. However, after about 4 weeks of having it I began to use clipless pedals for the first time and fitted some different bar ends and swapped the saddle. Ever since doing this I have had nothing but uncomfortable rides; the saddle gives me a sore bum after only 5 or 10 minutes and my wrists constantly ache. I've tried adjusting the seat and swapping the saddle but to no avail. What's more, my feet (especially my right foot) has started to become numb after about 20 minutes in the saddle. When I stand up out of the saddle it goes which leads me to believe the problem lies there. I don't know what do to do. When I'm on the bike it feels as though the handlebars are too close (I'm quite lanky and long-limbed) and I'm putting an awful lot of pressure on my wrists and palms.

What can I do? It's killing my enjoyment of the bike. :sad:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My initial thought would be to swap all the components back to the point where you were comfortable and ride for a few weeks to make sure you are happy again. Then try swapping one thing at a time and wait a week or two before fitting the next item/s. This way you should be able to identify which change is causing the problem. You jumped in and changes all the contact points you have with the bike in one go so not entirely surprising that the bike feels suddenly completely different.

Just start again and do one thing at a time :thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

AdamUK

Regular
My initial thought would be to swap all the components back to the point where you were comfortable and ride for a few weeks to make sure you are happy again. Then try swapping one thing at a time and wait a week or two before fitting the next item/s. This way you should be able to identify which change is causing the problem. You jumped in and changes all the contact points you have with the bike in one go so not entirely surprising that the bike feels suddenly completely different.

Just start again and do one thing at a time :thumbsup:

Hello Skol, thanks for your reply. Yes I realise now that changing a few components at the same time may have been a bit silly; but I reverted back to them and it hasn't made any difference. The bar ends are just a matter of comfort, and I've gone back to the original saddle but still the riding experience is miserable. My Dad is a cyclist and he suggested that you can buy a new set of handlebars with a longer stem, which would increase the reach distance? I'm a bit of a noob so you'll have to forgive me! :blush:

What I like Skol said but as the leg numbness seems to have started with the new cleats, I'd pay special attention to how you set them up.

Hello Ford. What do you mean by "how you set them up"?

Brandane

Legendary Member
What's more, my feet (especially my right foot) has started to become numb after about 20 minutes in the saddle.

Sounds to me like you need to be adjusting the position of the cleat (with regards to the foot problem). Good luck in getting it right; I never did manage that :whistle:. You could always splash out on a professional bike fitting session if you have a good LBS..

Brandane

Legendary Member
My Dad is a cyclist and he suggested that you can buy a new set of handlebars with a longer stem, which would increase the reach distance? I'm a bit of a noob so you'll have to forgive me!

You can buy the stem on its own, just the part that connects the handlebars to the steerer. You get all different lengths and angles of rise. Cost about £20.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hello Ford. What do you mean by "how you set them up"?

There's a thing about sitting barefooted on a table and letting your feet hang free, observing what angle they hang at, and then set the cleats at as close to that angle that you can. My feet splay so much I can't set the cleats exactly in line because my heels would hit the chain stay, so you can't always get the exact alignment. But as close as is better than nothing at all.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
the height of your foot in cleats might be different from your foot on a regular pedal. I got a new pair of shoes and my right foot gets a bit numb, and some hot spots. Perhaps the shoes are to blame.

OP
OP
A

AdamUK

Regular
Thanks for all the replies so far. I've tried adjusting the cleats and saddle but sadly it is still giving me the same discomfort. I think I will take the bike down to my local bike shop as they are a good bunch of helpful guys, I bought my bike and most of my parts and accessories from them so I will have them look at the bike and see what they suggest. Thanks again. :smile:

Top Bottom