Unconfident partner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pjays666

Über Member
Hi all help needed please. I have been cycling for over a year now and love it , my wife wanted to start cycling too so I took her on a few test rides to see how she got on. She enjoyed it but only feels confident on a very quiet lane near where we live . I have got her a Scott sportster 55 which she is comfortable on. I just can't get her to go on roads or towpaths because of traffic, people etc. I did manage to get her on the sea front from blackpool to fleetwood but struggling getting her out locally. - any advice please

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Slowly does it, if she really wants to overcome her fear of traffic she will get confidence in time.
It would be better if the person to show her is not you :smile: a bit like better not to get driving lessons from your nearest and dearest!
Is there a ladies beginners group in your area she could join?
Is her work a "cycling friendly employer"? They usually organize short road skills courses for employees.
You can also try your local council for courses or hire an instructor.
Cyclecraft is a good book for learning the theory.
Good luck and let us know her progress in a few months time.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i agree with Pat. Look up local ladies groups or get a bikeability instructor round. Do you cycle in front of her? Try flanking her at the back instead so she feels protected. I have a booklet i use when I'm training, showing basic road positions. I can let you have a copy if you pm me your email.

zophiel

Veteran
My wife was the same, I just took here on small cycle rides on quiet roads and paths. I cycle behind her to keep an eye on traffic from behind so she just has to watch what's coming fro in front of us. She still isn't very confident but it is getting better each time we go out.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I started my other half on a MTB over the forest, then onto the canal paths and eventually on the roads, it's taken a while for her to build her confidence, she now cycles on her ownor wth a mate if i am on a club ride,

Lincov

Maybe see if there's one of the beginner's sky rides near you and do it together? I second a bikeabiility instructor as well. Main thing is keep finding suitable rides and going out together and the confidence will come.

I have a similar problem with my husband, but I haven't managed to persuade him out at all yet :-(. Still working on it!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
My wife was the same pj, so I took her on the Haslingden / Accrington greenway. She also absolutely loves the promenade from Fairhaven Lake to Fleetwood too.

i agree with Pat. Look up local ladies groups or get a bikeability instructor round. Do you cycle in front of her? Try flanking her at the back instead so she feels protected. I have a booklet i use when I'm training, showing basic road positions. I can let you have a copy if you pm me your email.
Hi buggi,

Would it be possible to have a copy of the booklet also?

I'm trying to get my Mum (50) into cycling, as she drove the support vehicle for my Coast to Coast attempt in September 2013, and was amazed at everyone's efforts, which spurred her into buying a bike, but so far not riding it.
Hoping to get her into cycling for commuting to and from work, but it involves a busy (A) road, but has some cycle paths, which I'd like to get her used to before attempting road cycling.

Thank you,

buggi

Bird Saviour
Hi buggi,

Would it be possible to have a copy of the booklet also?

I'm trying to get my Mum (50) into cycling, as she drove the support vehicle for my Coast to Coast attempt in September 2013, and was amazed at everyone's efforts, which spurred her into buying a bike, but so far not riding it.
Hoping to get her into cycling for commuting to and from work, but it involves a busy (A) road, but has some cycle paths, which I'd like to get her used to before attempting road cycling.

Thank you,
send me a pm with your email address, or postal address if you want a hard copy.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hi all help needed please. I have been cycling for over a year now and love it , my wife wanted to start cycling too so I took her on a few test rides to see how she got on. She enjoyed it but only feels confident on a very quiet lane near where we live . I have got her a Scott sportster 55 which she is comfortable on. I just can't get her to go on roads or towpaths because of traffic, people etc. I did manage to get her on the sea front from blackpool to fleetwood but struggling getting her out locally. - any advice please

twin plan of attack:

1. arrange a bikeability session = confidence
2. plan a ride to a pub/cafe/nt place whatever floats her boat = distracting tempter making the ride functional

MikeG

Guru
My wife rode Land's End to John O'Groats with me and yet still rides down hills at 10mph with the brakes on. I always ride behind her to do the traffic management thing, and call out constantly with encouragement and things like "clear behind" or whatever. Some people are just never going to be confident in all circumstances on a bike sharing the public road, however experienced.

What @Pat "5mph" said.

Also I gained a lot of confidence when I changed my bike type to a more old style sit up and beg type, I just felt more comfortable and able to see and be seen more.

Slightly OT (or maybe not)

These bikes are becoming more common and many of the girls riding them are "younger"

A friend of ours has a daughter who would never use her bike, however after she and a friend saw a girl on a Pashley, basket with flowers interwoven and wearing a dress. They then pestered their parents and one now rides a Pashley Poppy in blue, and the other a Dawes (Countess?) both with flowered baskets

Both now cycle regularly where they would have bussed or walked.

Could it be that these more "girly / feminine" bikes are a way forward in increasing the number of women on bikes

You will always need to recognise individual styles.

At a junction, I slow down, bring right pedal to wards the top and if clear cycle through. My partner always stops with the pedal down, checks the junction, then repositions the pedal and pulls off.

Neither is wrong, or right, but it was fun negotiating the pedal position on the tandems!

Top Bottom