Unconfident partner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think it is an age thing, you are just more cautious the older you get and no amount of coaching etc will make any difference. However it's not the same for all.

S610

Regular
Local cycling club? Alot of cycling clubs have different groups for different abilities. There is usually a beginners/leisure group where she could be encouraged/supported by other people who havent been cycling long or prefer a slower pace but also have the experienced leaders and sweepers to help her feel safe and pass on vital knowledge. I think its really important for new cyclists to ride in groups of more experienced cyclists to learn all the little things that can make a difference between a safe and unsafe cyclist.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Since you only live up the road, you certainly need to get her out on the Padiham Greenway if you haven't done so already! :thumbsup:

padiham-greenway.jpg

(I know that somebody will ask, so: L-R: Steve H, potsy, SlowerThanASluggishSloth, Svendo!)

fimm

Veteran
My wife rode Land's End to John O'Groats with me and yet still rides down hills at 10mph with the brakes on....
I feel I must comment on this - I cycle everywhere, on all kinds of roads, but I'm not a confident descender, and there are circumstances where my boyfriend has to wait for me for longer at the bottom of a hill than he does at the top. Don't mistake lack of desire to go really fast downhill for general lack of road confidence.

MikeG

Guru
I feel I must comment on this .......Don't mistake lack of desire to go really fast downhill for general lack of road confidence.

:smile: .....and don't mistake me commenting on my wife's descending ability as some sort of sign that I ride like a pro down a slope:

I'm timid as hell down hills and around bends. Particularly down hills. The older I get, the more timid I get. Take your lessons from your falls, and apply them.............. and don't even try to get back to being as fast as you once were.

Jeez, there are some horrible sounding accidents on just this one page. I'm going to go even slower. :smile:

kedab

Veteran
Maybe see if there's one of the beginner's sky rides near you and do it together? I second a bikeabiility instructor as well. Main thing is keep finding suitable rides and going out together and the confidence will come.

I have a similar problem with my husband, but I haven't managed to persuade him out at all yet :-(. Still working on it!
same as that...not with your husband. rather, with my wife. still working on it too. my wife that is. not your husband :smile:

Ern1e

Über Member
or... the 'in at the deep end' approach...
drop her and the bike off 50 miles form home, and say 'see you later' :smile:
You forgot to add and "don't be at home once she gets back"

EddyP

Regular
A great way to get your wife involved in cycling along the roads is to go to a cycling event. This has worked wonders for myself and my girlfriend who completed the 26 mile London Bikeathon last year and it gave us so much more confidence as we knew others were in our position. We are going back to do it again this year on the 52 mile course but I would definitely recommend the 26 mile course for beginner road cyclists. See below for more information

http://leukaemialymphomaresearch.org.uk/event/london-bikeathon

David Higson

There are some terrific traffic-free roads and paths around to gain confidence with.
My wife and I have ridden along the front from Fleetwood down to Lytham, (worst bit being riding through Blackpool with all the crowds of people). Talking of Blackpool, they have the "Ride The Lights" night where cyclists get to ride the five miles from Starr Gate to Bispham (and back) while they're testing the Illuminations. It's a lovely evening ride and takes place on the Tuesday immediately following the August Bank Holiday.
upload_2014-6-11_10-50-50.png

The only hassle is from the random shoals of MAMILs who haven't realised that it's a family fun ride.
We've also had a nice afternoon ride from Hest Bank to Heysham (through Morecambe) - There's an excellent tea room at either end (the Half Moon Cafe at Heysham serves excellent teacakes (just saying..))

Last edited:
Top Bottom