Under Desk Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MahatmaAndhi

Good evening,

I'm looking to get an under-the-desk cycling setup for when I am at work. My job involves sitting on my backside looking at spreadsheets, so I might as well make use of the time. The boss is all for it too.
I don't have any experience with this stuff. An absolute essential requirement is that it needs to be quiet. I'm guessing the noise reduction comes at a premium. I haven't got a budget in mind at the moment.
One other thing that would be nice is a connection to an app such as MyFitnessPal which I use to calorie count. But it's not an absolute deal-breaker as I could log the LCD screen and punch it in manually.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?
I haven't measured the desk height so at the moment I'm not limited by that.

https://deskcycle.com/ crops up a lot, but it's quite pricey and I can't seem to figure out why.

That thing looks like a disaster. It will mess up your posture since you will have to slouch to reach down without your knees hitting the desk. Then, it won't be quiet - they never are.
Huffing and puffing whilst focusing on spreadsheets ain't gonna happen.
Just ride to work and back and go punch a bag or something during your break.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get a more exciting job :okay:
In the meantime, you could sit on an exercise ball at your desk part of the time, silent and good for posture and core.
Calorie counting...best way to reduce, eat less high calorie food :okay:

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
Have you considered a Standing Desk?
I think a standing desk would be more practical than under desk pedals. It would not burn as much energy per minute, but would be silent and you could stand longer than you could pedal.
Google 'Standing desk benefits' and 'Standing desks' for the various options.

OP
OP
MahatmaAndhi

MahatmaAndhi

I do cycle to and from work and often take extended rides home.
Standing desks aren't an option.
I enjoy my job.
I tend to arrive around 30 mins early and go for a walk. Then, at lunch, I'll go for another walk.
I'm doing what I can, but there's a huge amount of time that I have no choice but to remain stationary, sitting at my desk. And I'd like to use that time to burn calories, regardless of how meagre they are.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Make the room you work in colder and wear fewer clothes. That way your body will burn more calories to maintain core temperature.

Move the mouse further away so you have to reach for it frequently.
Stand up often and stretch.

vickster

Legendary Member
I do cycle to and from work and often take extended rides home.
Standing desks aren't an option.
I enjoy my job.
I tend to arrive around 30 mins early and go for a walk. Then, at lunch, I'll go for another walk.
I'm doing what I can, but there's a huge amount of time that I have no choice but to remain stationary, sitting at my desk. And I'd like to use that time to burn calories, regardless of how meagre they are.
Go for a jog in place of the walks?
If you have a sedentary job, there’s not much you can do while actually working unfortunately other than using stairs instead of lifts etc. You do burn calories just existing of course :okay:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
As someone who spends 8 hours a day at a desk, I share your concerns. However, I could not find a solution for use within work time.

I have been cycling to work for the last 15 years (7 mile round trip) which has helped.

Recently, I have been doing two miles a day on the treadmill at home too.

You could look into something like that, or join a gym

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Maybe look at some YouTube videos uploaded by private users (rather than a marketing video), might give you an idea of how noisy they are. I'd also worry about posture whilst using it. You're basically simulating a recumbant bike, and like any bike you have to have it set up properly if you don't want aches/pains or longer term problems. If you set up your positioning for the cycle, it may hinder your working position so you'd more than likely adopt a poor posture so that you can work properly.

If you're cycling to and from work and in your time off, and exercising at lunch, I think you're doing more than enough.

Is there perhaps a cupboard or other area that you could set up a normal exercise bike? Other than that, I htink it's a good idea but has "used it for a week, couldn't get on with it" written all over it! And someone would eventually complain about the noise.

OP
OP
MahatmaAndhi

MahatmaAndhi

But I already do!
This isn't to try and replace what I am already doing, it's to compliment it. My job requires me to be at my desk for several hours at a time, so while I am here, let's add to what I'm already doing when I can go out to walk at lunch/cycle home/run in the evening/walk before work.

Please, I'm not looking for alternative suggestions. I'm really after experience from those who've used one of these desk pedal sets.

Top Bottom