Underslung tool bags...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After my recent disaster getting a puncture miles from home I invested in a pump and tubes which I now carry with me in a modestly priced bag which hangs from the top tube of the frame by three straps.

I was chatting to my mate the other day who told me these things should be avoided at all costs due to drag (doesn’t bother me at my cycling level) and damage to the paint on the frame. Is this something that will happen and if it is can any form of protection prevent the damage? Am I better off just getting another bag?

midlife

Guru
Mine is strapped under the saddle, but that's only because that's where I stuffed my spare tub in the 70's lol

vickster

Legendary Member
After my recent disaster getting a puncture miles from home I invested in a pump and tubes which I now carry with me in a modestly priced bag which hangs from the top tube of the frame by three straps.

I was chatting to my mate the other day who told me these things should be avoided at all costs due to drag (doesn’t bother me at my cycling level) and damage to the paint on the frame. Is this something that will happen and if it is can any form of protection prevent the damage? Am I better off just getting another bag?
Lol does your seemingly dim mate not realise that a large human being on a bike will cause rather more drag than a small bag :laugh:

If you want to protect the frame, helicopter tape under the straps but I'd be worried about the quality of the paint work if it gets damaged by some Velcro straps?

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

No, get a new mate. You know you want to.

NOOOO, spent far too much already tbh.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Helicopter tape, or cut pieces from an old un-repairable inner tube to go under the straps (and they will mark the paintwork otherwise, even if it's just taking the shine off).

Top Bottom