Undo Hope wheel hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Summerking

Veteran
The Hope hub on my front wheel is really rough and has excessive play,and I was looking to see if the bearings can be replaced, does anyone know how to access/undo this type of hub?. I have cone spanners but theres nothing to use them on. The serrated ring visible below sits on without a thread and comes off but everything is still tight together after its removal. It is exactly the same on the other side
P190613_14.11.jpg

fossala

Guru
Should be 2 allen bolts (8 or 15mm can't remember) at each end.

OP
OP
Summerking

Summerking

Veteran
Should be 2 allen bolts (8 or 15mm can't remember) at each end.
Hi Fossala, thanks for the reply
Sunny Cornwall here too..Helston:thumbsup:
so I screw the allen bolts in to each end to undo them?..
there I was trying to fit allen 'keys' into the end and thinking what the hell?

At a guess, based on some Hopes I have serviced, the whole thing is held by friction so:

1) The serrated ring comes off.

2) The black cone shaped cover is just a dust cover/seal so that will prise off (take both covers off).

3) Under the cone there is an outer sleeve which fits around the axle and leads up to a sealed bearing - that needs to be prised off.

4) You should then be able to tap the end of the axle gently and it should feed right through the hub.

5)That leaves the hub with 2 sealed bearings which are knocked out. There should be a code on the seal of each bearing which will tell you what bearing you need (they are about £6 each if you avoid cycle shops and get them from a bearing manufacturer).

OP
OP
Summerking

Summerking

Veteran
For some reason the 'dust cover/seal' is not even budging an inch there is almost no gap whatsoever to get a tool or edge to lever it, it is made of the same alloy that the rest of the hub is and trying to prise it off is damaging the hub, is there something I'm missing here? if its my cack-handedness I may have to resort to the Lbs tomorrow.

OP
OP
Summerking

Summerking

Veteran
You could try drilling a small hole through the cone shaped cover (towards the outer edge) and then inserting a lever to prise it out.

lpretro1

Drilling a bit over the top. Suggest a bit of plusgas on the offending part - but of course be careful not to spray into freehub body etc.

Top Bottom