Undoing the work of the corporate Computer Nazi...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fab Foodie said:
For you IT guys, the slaptop takes 3 mins 30s to get to the CTR+ ALT+DEL bit from hitting the power button...frustratingly long.

that is excessive, should be no more than a minute. it either needs a rebuild or there are too many unncessary services starting on boot up. apart from the OS and I assume Microsoft Office, what other applications are installed? Anything Oracle based can be a right bugger and really slows stuff down for a start.

andygates

domtyler said:
I can see that you only have a cursory knowledge of IT so I'll be gentle.

Bite my shiny metal arse, fart face.

domtyler

Über Member
andygates said:
Bite my shiny metal arse, fart face.

You say the nicest things Andy... Ooo, hang on, is that the phone ringing? Go go helpdesk boy, jump to it. And make it snappy, there are people out there who need help finding the wordcount function in Word! ;) :blush:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
trustysteed said:
that is excessive, should be no more than a minute. it either needs a rebuild or there are too many unncessary services starting on boot up. apart from the OS and I assume Microsoft Office, what other applications are installed? Anything Oracle based can be a right bugger and really slows stuff down for a start.

The IT Guy did removed all the unnecessary start-up stuff and more, cleaned-up and defragged etc...it seemed OK, start-up in 70s or so, after a few start-ups it's back to 3m 30s again.
Apart from MS Office on XP, there's Lotus notes, Sophos Antivirus and a few other peripheral stuff but nowt major.
It's a frustration...no doubt.

Guys, no need for the mudslinging eh? Whitty repartite and banter fine, but quit the insult please...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
this is a true story of IT stupidity:

i freelanced in the studio at mbna europe for a while. their IT department didn't understand macs, so they were not allowed on the main network. the account execs had pcs with the cd drive removed, only a floppy drive. no mac since the imac has had a floppy drive. so, they were unable to send any files over any network or on a disk. eventually some usb floppy drives were bought for the macs, but as most pdf files were over the 1.4mb you could fit on them, they were almost useless.

superb, you couldn't make it up.

domtyler

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
this is a true story of IT stupidity:

i freelanced in the studio at mbna europe for a while. their IT department didn't understand macs, so they were not allowed on the main network. the account execs had pcs with the cd drive removed, only a floppy drive. no mac since the imac has had a floppy drive. so, they were unable to send any files over any network or on a disk. eventually some usb floppy drives were bought for the macs, but as most pdf files were over the 1.4mb you could fit on them, they were almost useless.

superb, you couldn't make it up.

Er, why did you not just work on a real computer for the duration of your contract?

Carwash

Señor Member
domtyler said:
Er, why did you not just work on a real computer for the duration of your contract?

Well, if they didn't understand Macs, what are the chances they'd have a clue about BSD?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
domtyler said:

because no serious place that has any graphic design expertise uses "real computers". and their IT guys must have been seriously shite to not be able to network the macs and pcs and not maintain an iron grip on it.

domtyler

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
because no serious place that has any graphic design expertise uses "real computers". and their IT guys must have been seriously shite to not be able to network the macs and pcs and not maintain an iron grip on it.

But did they have exposed brickwork and chill out zones where you could do some serious blue sky thinking over your skinny-mocha-soya-fairtrade-recycled lattes? ;)

Come on Alex, we all know that Macs are only designed to look pretty rather than do actual work. We are at least in agreement about that aren't we? :blush:

Carwash

Señor Member
domtyler said:
Come on Alex, we all know that Macs are only designed to look pretty rather than do actual work. We are at least in agreement about that aren't we? ;)

I suppose it was only a matter of time before this became a 'my platform is best!' argument. Can't you just let it be, dom?

Pandaboy

Just today the IT monkeys have put a block on various websites.

So now I can't access the BBC radio player, annoying but not too bad.

However they did it to block access to facebook, myspace etc.

Trouble is several people in our department are in the middle of developing facebook apps, so are now twiddling their thumbs waiting for the IT department to work out how to allow access to those people who need it :tongue:

Why do IT departments always impose thier will on the poor unsuspecting workers? Why do they never think to ask us "what do you need to do your job"?

I've lost count of the times I've had to change a perfectly efficient process because it doesn't suit IT policies. Who effing cares! It suits me, it suits the customers and it brings in money you chumps!

Do as you're told servermonkeys - you work for us.

Top Bottom