Unexpected Surprise and a little Garmin help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
you shouldn't save the ride halfway through. and it's best just to let auto-pause do it's thing if you stop for a break - playing about with the Touring halfway through a ride always causes trouble! Also, when the Touring was first launched many people were unhappy with the route finder function - I have never used that function on mine but I guess Garmin never made it any better!
Would you turn the power off during your break or just let it auto pause. Battery was down to 40% so I was trying to save some power.i Was planning to use this unit on LEJOG next year and so battery usage is an interest to me. I appreciate the advice of the portable power unit I have received.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Would you turn the power off during your break or just let it auto pause. Battery was down to 40% so I was trying to save some power.i Was planning to use this unit on LEJOG next year and so battery usage is an interest to me. I appreciate the advice of the portable power unit I have received.

Press pause then power down. When ready to go back on the road, power up and press start. It will then continue recording from where you paused it.

e-rider

crappy member
I always just use auto-pause and only stop and save the ride at the end. As a general rule my Touring uses 25% batt for every 50 miles cycled. I did a 200 mile ride and still had 10% left at the end. Turning the backlight down etc will minimise batt useage. As for LEJOG, you will need to recharge probably every night so no need to worry about saving power each day.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I always just use auto-pause and only stop and save the ride at the end. As a general rule my Touring uses 25% batt for every 50 miles cycled. I did a 200 mile ride and still had 10% left at the end. Turning the backlight down etc will minimise batt useage. As for LEJOG, you will need to recharge probably every night so no need to worry about saving power each day.
Good excuse to stop B and. B then every night. Thanks for the advice.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A bit of a thread hijack. Having established that the Touring can be used and charged at the same time, the question is - how?

I see from the manual that the USB port is behind a little door on the bottom edge of the device, facing you as it's mounted. So theoretically on an out-front mount you might be able to squeeze a cable in. But if it was stem mounted I'm kind of doubting that you'd be able to keep it mounted and get the door open and a cable in there. The door looks like it's made from soft material.

Does anyone do this, or do they just wait for a break in the ride and do the charging then?

Do people really get 15 hours life (as the manual says) out of it? Even on a night or winter darkness ride with a lot of use of the backlight?

Next question. All my Garmins (non-bike) have a little eye through which a lanyard can be fitted. I can't see one on the Touring. I'd be wary of mounting an expensive GPS on my bike without a secondary means of attachment in case it comes free from the mount. Yes, I know a zillion cyclists already do this, but I'm an old worry-guts.

Oxo

Guru
Next question. All my Garmins (non-bike) have a little eye through which a lanyard can be fitted. I can't see one on the Touring. I'd be wary of mounting an expensive GPS on my bike without a secondary means of attachment in case it comes free from the mount. Yes, I know a zillion cyclists already do this, but I'm an old worry-guts.

On another thread recently someone suggested wrapping cling film around your Garmin and the mount.

Top Bottom