Unexpected Surprise and a little Garmin help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Many thanks for this, serves me right for not finding and downloading an instruction manual. Will try this on my next ride.

The instruction manual is more then useless. Garmin are not known for having great manuals for their products. THIS link will take you to the Garmin forums, specifically for the Touring. It's a much better resource then any of the manuals.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Regarding battery life. You should be able to get 12 hours out of the machine quite easy. But it's well worth you buying a small and cheap battery recharger from Amazon or Ebay to carry with you. Top up at a lunch/tea stop.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
The instruction manual is more then useless. Garmin are not known for having great manuals for their products. THIS link will take you to the Garmin forums, specifically for the Touring. It's a much better resource then any of the manuals.
That is perfect, many thanks for this, what a star!

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Regarding battery life. You should be able to get 12 hours out of the machine quite easy. But it's well worth you buying a small and cheap battery recharger from Amazon or Ebay to carry with you. Top up at a lunch/tea stop.
Seems eminently sensible and a good reason to stop for lunch or cake!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That is perfect, many thanks for this, what a star!

You're welcome.
When I first got my Touring a year or so back I found it so frustrating that it was very nearly thrown away into a field in France. A case of asking others, surfing the net for information and just by playing around with it means that I now get the best out of it and once you learn, it does become a very good machine.

snorri

Legendary Member
Many thanks for this, serves me right for not finding and downloading an instruction manual. Will try this on my next ride.
Haha, I'm just home from visiting a friend who told me he had to return a new leaf blower to the shop as it didn't work. The shopkeeper immediately replaced it with another, still in its sealed box but it didn't work either. Of course my friend hadn't read the instructions:biggrin:..

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Haha, I'm just home from visiting a friend who told me he had to return a new leaf blower to the shop as it didn't work. The shopkeeper immediately replaced it with another, still in its sealed box but it didn't work either. Of course my friend hadn't read the instructions:biggrin:..
The weird thing is, some of the more technical things (well to me anyway) like uploading a route I have managed ok. The simple start and stop and continue I've failed with- c'est la vie!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My Garmin Touring does such things. I got lost at St Teath not so long back and asked it to take me back to the start point and it routed me some 600 miles and wanted me to go via Felixstowe. Dang thing is possessed.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Many thanks for the offer, can I ask what sort of battery life you get out of yours?

I have never ran it flat on a ride but got close at 150km. I then used a solar power bank to ride the next 12km home. If you decide to do a long ride, over 150km. Take a power bank with you.

Most of my rides are planned on Plotaroute and downloaded to my Garmin and that works fine. I have used the auto plot on the device and although it will get you to your destination, it may go round the houses to get you there. If you are going to devise a route on the device I would suggest you put a way point in every 5-10km along the route you want to take. If you dont, it will take you on walkabout again.The round trip feature is quite fun but it has sent me 10km up the road only to do a U turn and ride straight back down the road. Not quite a Round trip, but at least I went somewhere.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
While you're talking about the Garmin Touring (and I know I could find this info out with a bit of searching, but I thought I'd ask here cos I'm lazy) can it run while charging? Or do you have to switch it off to charge it?

ie if I got one, could I remove it from its mount, connect it to a power bank and bung it in my handlebar bag for a bit to recharge and still have it record what I'm doing. Even better would be a mount with a connector in so I could run it from a power bank in my handlebar bag and still see it.

e-rider

crappy member
you shouldn't save the ride halfway through. and it's best just to let auto-pause do it's thing if you stop for a break - playing about with the Touring halfway through a ride always causes trouble! Also, when the Touring was first launched many people were unhappy with the route finder function - I have never used that function on mine but I guess Garmin never made it any better!

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Well done on the ride and see you on the half century challenge next year! :whistle:

I'm not sure that a 'surprise' can be anything other than 'unexpected' - if you expected it then it wouldn't be a surprise! :okay:
Fair point well made :smile: in my defence the surprise would have been finishing the 25 miles :smile:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Top Bottom