Unexplained punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu99

Über Member
What causes them? - assuming you have ruled out the obvious culprits on a 700x23 tyre: e.g.

(1) external and internal penetrating objects
(2) snagged tubes
(3) under-/over-inflation
(4) poorly positioned brake block rubbing on the tyre
(5) inferior quality tubes or tubes that are too thin

What have I missed? Any unusual experiences?

kyuss

Veteran
Poorly fitted or bad quality rim tape.

Keith Oates

Janner
There is always a reason for a puncture but finding the reason is not always easy. I think the No.1 on your list is the most commom cause but finding the penetrating object when it's embedded into the tyre can be difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the punctures are on the outside circumference of the tube, you've almost certainly got something embedded in the tyre that is not showing when you examine it off the wheel, but is making contact when the tube is pumped up and the tyre is under pressure. I had a similar instance with a bit of staple - three unexplained punctures, only found it when I turned the tyre inside out.

If they're on the inside circumference, it's the rim tape.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Using forks (wrong way round) instead of tyre levers? :rolleyes::biggrin:

Blue

Legendary Member
I once had this problem over the winter and, admitting defeat, sought the help of my LBS. It turned out that my tyres were delaminating and cutting-up the tubes. Got 2 new tyres and haven't had a puncture for months.

jimbut

Stu99 for what it`s worth ( I am a newbie ) but this is what has happened to myself over the past 4-6 weeks. Pumped up tyres prior to a run and, after changing into my kit and returning to bike, found I had a front flat. Almost the exact same thing again 5 weeks or so later. Culprit ... me. I was overtightening the little retaining screw on the rim putting the welt on the tube under excessive pressure. Little splits formed in the tube around the valve area. Hope I have not been patronising with this info. It`s just what happened to me in my ignorance. Cheers.

peanut

old age!
rubber perishes eventually. I had some brand new tubes in boxes that had been in my bitsa box for 7-8 years unused. I tried using a couple this week and both ruptured along their ribs with 2" tears. They sure blew with a bang.

Tynan

Veteran
mickle said:
Throw the valve rings away. Honestly, they serve no useful purpose.

I'm under the impression they hold the valve in place when I'm inflating?

finger tight for me anyway

Top Bottom