unfinished cycle path caused an off today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
It is something we all probably do but luckily get away with it.
I think fossyant is right, you should be riding at a speed that enables to come to a complete stop at the point your line of sight finishes.
It is technique taught as apart of advanced rider/driver training.
Still lack of warning signs is an issue, they would not forget to put warning signs on road works.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You were going too fast to stop in time given the vision you had. Yes the building materials shouldn't be there, but common sence is you don't barrel into a corner without knowing what's round it, especially as you didn't know the route/used it recently. There were 'obvious' signs it had been 're-newed'.

The council and it's solicitors are unlikely to assist. It's just the same as flying round a bend on your bike, to see a line of traffic, and slaming into the back of a car.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
again....who said i was flying around the bend, the bike i was on was hardly a top end road bike it was a viking, i was takeing it slow due to the dark and i weigh 100kilo, i wasnt getting much speed up mate im not an idiot.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
just a lack of care i suppose, ive taken the advice and complained to the council, im more bothered about signs being put up for other users than anything else, although i am annoyed as i spent hours on the bike the day before giving it abit of a revamp

The Horse's Mouth

Proud to be an Inverted snob!
I consider myself a bit of an expert on these matters, after working in liability claims for 27 years.

The simple question on these matters is to ask the following:

Is there anything that could have REASONABLY been done to prevent your accident or did they do something UNREASONABLE to cause the accident.

REASONABLE is the key word "man on the clapham omnibus" and all that.

I havent seen the photos but if by placing a simple sign in situ the accident would have been prevented then I think you will have a good case.

Chances are the work was carried out by contractors and the council will refer you to them, but they will have insurance cover and will pass it to their insurer.

You may however have to accept some contrib negligence. I say "may" as I havent seen the area.

If you want me to message me the pics I am more than happy to give you my view with my insurance man hat on!

Main thing is you werent badly hurt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
contacted the council, got a call today saying they arent even aware of a path in that area, they emailed me a map, i marked the point they investigated and already have given me claim form to get the price back of the bike :smile:

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
just a lack of care i suppose, ive taken the advice and complained to the council, im more bothered about signs being put up for other users than anything else, although i am annoyed as i spent hours on the bike the day before giving it abit of a revamp

Always best having n+n+1.Or something like that.What I mean is a spare bike or two.:bicycle:
Perhaps you have anyway.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom