Unhelpful comments by Wiggins after tragic accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19090898

Aside from the fact that a helmet isn't going to help if you're run over by a bus, his description of cycling in London as 'dangerous' is completely wrong. Cycling is an extremely safe activity. There are some tragic deaths every year, as there are in every activity from driving a car to going to sleep in bed. Giving a misleading impression of the risks isn't helpful.

Well he did say yesterday it didn't get any better and now he's finding out how true that was.

How is he finding out?

Going from being on top of the world yesterday to finding himself immersed in a big controversy of his own making today. All for suggesting that someone who seemingly died of massive internal abdominal injuries could have been saved by wearing a helmet.

400bhp

Guru
Going from being on top of the world yesterday to finding himself immersed in a big controversy of his own making today. All for suggesting that someone who seemingly died of massive internal abdominal injuries could have been saved by wearing a helmet.

Does he know about the controversy then?

And does he GAF if he does?

Graham

He's entitled to his opinion so why not? I ride into Manchester fairly regularly and don't find it a huge amount of fun. I would like London less from what I have seen so I can well imagine someone describing it as dangerous. "Cycling is an extremely safe activity" - until you get knocked off/run over. Riding a horse is an extremely safe activity - until it throws you off or kick you in the bollorx. Both are risky and you have to take precautions - Helmets / lights / high-vis / no ipods etc.

Although I see Wiggins was listening to his ipod on his ride round London yesterday, but the roads seemed unusually quiet so I guess we can let him off.

dawesome

Wiggo said a helmetless rider listening to music would only have themselves to blame if they got hurt, which means if the driver was drunk and speeding on the wrong side of the road and killed a cyclist it would be the cyclist's fault.

Lee_M

Guru
Just argued with the OP about this elsewhere, and yep Brad didnt call for compulsory lids, what he said (to paraphrase) was if there were laws protecting cyclists eg wearing a lid, then the law would be better able to protect their rights in this sort of situation, but if you didnt look after yourself - eg no lid, listening to an ipod, then you might not get the protection (in law) that you could.

all seems perfectly sensible to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom