unicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David L

Über Member
fcjk.jpg

Just bought this unicycle,
Any tips on how to ride it??

Freds Dad

Veteran
Very carefully

compo

Veteran
Not like this until you have been riding for a couple of weeks!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Extreme-Mountain-Unicycling-video-2012.html

I have a unicycle. It is one of those things you either get fairly quickly or face a long challenge. Once it clicks it's easy. For learning I would definitely recommend gloves, knee and elbow pads, and a decent crash helmet. I hit my head several times when losing control whilst learning.

There are many instructional videos on YouTube. Have fun and good luck.

OP
OP
David L

David L

Über Member
Not like this until you have been riding for a couple of weeks!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Extreme-Mountain-Unicycling-video-2012.html

I have a unicycle. It is one of those things you either get fairly quickly or face a long challenge. Once it clicks it's easy. For learning I would definitely recommend gloves, knee and elbow pads, and a decent crash helmet. I hit my head several times when losing control whilst learning.

There are many instructional videos on YouTube. Have fun and good luck.

Yeah thanks just having alook on you tube now, will just keep at it everything can be achieved with practice ^_^

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
Practice in a nice large open space. Much easier there compared to a cramped space.

I've been riding them since 10yrs old.. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to improve.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
[David, chain's slack...]
I couldn't get my balance so good luck!

Julia9054

Guru
I tried learning to ride a unicycle when I was a student. Several weeks and LOTS of bruises later, I gave up. Some of us are just not cut out for activities requiring lots of coordination.
Good luck!

adds21

Rider of bikes
I have several unicycles, but my favourite is my 29" muni (mountain unicycle). I try to commute halfway on it once a week (5 miles each way off-road), and go for longer, or more technical rides at the weekend.

One of the best things about it is overtaking MTBs on MTB tracks :becool: Doesn't happen often, but occasionally will on an uphill as the gearing on the unicycle is fixed, so I often have no choice other than to power uphill.

I really can recommend unicycling for core strength and general fun! As long as you can get past the initial learning curve it’s loads of fun. I’ve only been unicycling for a couple of years, and wish I’d taken it up earlier (I’m in my 40s!).

29.jpg

sidevalve

Über Member
Did it for a bit but never really got any good at it - always had a problem with any road bumps [hard on the bum] but that was probably just me not doing it right. Was good fun though.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My Dad had one when we were kids. I learned how to ride it in the back garden by relying on the garage wall for balance to start with. After a couple of hours I could ride around the garden. My Dad wouldn't let me on the road with it though. It didn't have a nice scoopy seat either, just a regular bike saddle.

Top Bottom