Unicyclist

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Location
Auld Reekie
Given that it was a wee bit breezy today, I was really surprised to see a guy on a Unicycle going down Leith St this morning!! Ok so it is a bit more sheltered down there but it ain't exactly flat and the round about at the top of Leith Walk can be a bit tricky. He's a braver man than I:wacko:
 

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Location
Crewe
I've seen one in Manchester too - few weeks ago now. In the distance, I was tutting at the irresponsibility of someone cycling on a busy road with no hands on the handlebars.

As I got closer, I realised he had no handlebars. Or front wheel.
 

Johnny Thin

New Member
Did the local plod threaten to prosecute one for not keeping ones hands on the handlebars? - then think better of it and "the Leith police dismisseth us".

(Sorry, had to do that, it was a tongue twister my Dad always tried to say ..."
 
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Location
Auld Reekie
Maz said:
How fast can a unicycle go? Does anyone know?
He was going at a fair pace when I passed him, I was wondering how he was going to brake, but was to busy looking at the traffic on the round about to find out...
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Maz said:
How fast can a unicycle go? Does anyone know?
I guess it depend on how fast you pedal, like dom says, but also how big the wheel is. A big wheel (like on a penny farthing) will go further for one turn of the pedals than a small one... A penny farthing can go at a heck of a pace, I guess you'd be limited on a uni by how well you can balance. But a bigger wheel is more stable, so maybe the bigger wheel, the better balance anyway...
 

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Location
Failsworth
I saw that dude in Manchester-going through Rusholme (assuming it's the same one). He was on the pavement though.
 

Maz

Legendary Member
I guess for a given cadence, wheel diameter is the big factor w.r.t. unicycle speed, like Arch said.
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Maz said:
I guess for a given cadence, wheel diameter is the big factor w.r.t. unicycle speed, like Arch said.
Strictly speaking, since the cranks are fixed, for a given cadence, surely wheel diameter is the ONLY factor!:biggrin:
 

Maz

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Strictly speaking, since the cranks are fixed, for a given cadence, surely wheel diameter is the ONLY factor!:biggrin:
Aah, but then you've got tyre pressure, tread and stuff like that...!
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Maz said:
Aah, but then you've got tyre pressure, tread and stuff like that...!
Have you? Those things affect the level of effort you put in, and therefore the gear you're in etc. But on fixed cranks, at a certain cadence and a set wheel size, you're going to get a fixed speed. I suppose if your tyres were actually slippy and you were riding on a slippy surface, the wheel might slip, but I doubt you'd stay on in that situation anyway.

Someone tell me I'm right, I'm starting to doubt myself...
 

Maz

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Have you? Those things affect the level of effort you put in, and therefore the gear you're in etc. But on fixed cranks, at a certain cadence and a set wheel size, you're going to get a fixed speed. I suppose if your tyres were actually slippy and you were riding on a slippy surface, the wheel might slip, but I doubt you'd stay on in that situation anyway.

Someone tell me I'm right, I'm starting to doubt myself...
Thinking about it, you're right!..it's a fixed gear, so for a fixed cadence, the distance travelled must also be fixed. Low tyre pressure would probably bring your cadence down, but here it's assumed to be constant.
It's me who's losing it...!
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Maz said:
Thinking about it, you're right!..it's a fixed gear, so for a fixed cadence, the distance travelled must also be fixed. Low tyre pressure would probably bring your cadence down, but here it's assumed to be constant.
It's me who's losing it...!
Hoorah! (Sorry. I hate it when I say something all confident and then have doubts...)
 
Top Bottom