Unidentified clicking noise around front wheel area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveGM

I have a Boardman Road Sport bought new from Halfords about 11 months ago.

It has developed a "clicking " noise in the area of the front wheel/ pedal area that I cannot identify.

This appens when riding and is worse over bumpy surfaces. Its seem to be still there but less so when freewheeling rather than pedalling.

I cannot identify anything obviously loose. Wheel spokes seem fine, pedals crank and front gears also seem fine.

The tyre valve where it passes through the hole in the wheel appeared quite loose ie it could be moved from side to side and as a result made a noise. So as a temporary measure I wrapped some tape around the valve to stop this but the noise is still there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, otherwise its a trip back to the bike shop.

sight-pin

Veteran
If it's still under guarantee, why not just pop it back to Halfords to solve, as sometimes these clicks can be quite hard to diagnose.

I suggest isolating different areas and check where it come from.
You can do it this way.
Mount the bike on a stand.
Turn the pedal. If it is not there now, as your front wheel is not moving, it come from front wheel.
Now check different sections of front wheel. Put another wheel from another bike and test.
So on and on..
Good weekend project!

Top Bottom