• Depends on the weather

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on how I am feeling

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other factors

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Franco.info

Hello!

I am currently a final year Product Design student, studying at the University of Huddersfield. I am currently looking into the attitudes towards cycling and why aren't more people using is as a means of commuting. I would appreciate if the members of this community would fill in this short questionnaire where you will be anonymous. I have contacted this site to check over my link for authenticity before posting it here.

http://goo.gl/forms/G0sOkaRWmY

I cycle myself but I don't have much experience so I am also up for discussions here such as:
- Encounters you may have
- Frequent frustrations when cycling
- Road safety perceptions
- Equipment which could be easier to use
- Experience of a ride such as a commute compared to a long ride

Cyvling in London is awesome due to
1. the huge numbers of fellow riders
2. The slow moving traffic
3. The relative acceptance of cyclists by other road users
4. The speed and convenience

Those that don't usually give the reason of danger. My guess is that this is an excuse. I would suggest that many would change their mind given some experience.

OP
OP
F

Franco.info

Cyvling in London is awesome due to
1. the huge numbers of fellow riders
2. The slow moving traffic
3. The relative acceptance of cyclists by other road users
4. The speed and convenience

Those that don't usually give the reason of danger. My guess is that this is an excuse. I would suggest that many would change their mind given some experience.

Thank you for posting! :biggrin: I do love it when passing cyclists give each other acknowledgement, such as a head nod. It is rather interesting that you say it is great to cycle in London; I live up north of England in the suburbs area so I pretty much never encounter that volume of traffic. Would you be able to describe a little more in detail about one of your typical journey's in London on a bike? I hear many things such as the buses not seeing you or vehicles cutting you off leading to all kinds of accidents.

Furst off I never nod!
I used to go through very busy routes, eg old St. Now I take quieter routes away from traffic. It's full of cyclists. Some lights I can be in a pack of 20+. This greater volume means you're more visible to drivers. Also a traffic is so slow moving the drivers have little reason to push past you. The biggest problem is narrow streets and large vehicles, lorries etc. I keep well away and only pass when I fell safe. You can safely ride defensively but do not ever think that the responsibility lies solely with the cyclist. These lorries are badly designed, often badly driven and not suited to londons roads.

OP
OP
F

Franco.info

Furst off I never nod!

Really? It's rather common to do that when I am out and about cycling. The things you learn ey :smile:

So the large vehicles are an issue. Have you noticed how people try to get noticed by buses and lorries then if they are sort of cornered due to the narrow spaces? Such as yelling, hitting the side of the vehicle

Really? It's rather common to do that when I am out and about cycling. The things you learn ey :smile:

So the large vehicles are an issue. Have you noticed how people try to get noticed by buses and lorries then if they are sort of cornered due to the narrow spaces? Such as yelling, hitting the side of the vehicle
Rarely. There cars lorries cyclists everywhere. I feel it's less a case of not seeing more a case of not caring. Put a sticker in the bsck of your lorry, perpetuate the idea you are dabgerous then it's the cyclists fault for being there innit.

Top Bottom