Unknown device attached to my house

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hi all,
i have got what look like a wind driven device that is attached to the house i've just bought but i have no idea what it is - has anyone ever seen a thing like this and know what it is used for?
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210411_160833644.jpg
    IMG_20210411_160833644.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 33
Errrrrrt.....why not ask the previous owner?

Hi all,
i have got what look like a wind driven device that is attached to the house i've just bought but i have no idea what it is - has anyone ever seen a thing like this and know what it is used for?
thanks

It's unfortunate you've moved in at this time of year, because that device is really useful when it snows. As you can see, it has three scoops, and they gather the snow to make free ice-cream. 👍

Alternatively, it could be an anemometer off a home weather station.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Can you the following the wiring / conduit to see what's at the other end . My guess like others amateur weather station
Installed by an Amateur too by the looks of things! How’s it’ supposed to work when the wind is blowing from the other side of the house?!

Drago

Legendary Member
Its an anemometer, a device for measuring windspeed.

The instalation is a bit strange - the device itself is a decent bit of kit, above and beyond the combined sensors that amateur like myself typically have, yet its mounted so close to the house as to be virtually useless.

Top Bottom