Unlit commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
For awhile today it was me.

I forgot to wrap the little velcro doo-dad around the (4 x AA) battery holder of the rear Dinotte before I stuffed it into my seatpack. Battery musta popped out while going over a bump.

Don't think it was like it for long- I can remember being aware of the red glow in my mirror at a few points during my commute, but I think it was off while I was negotiating a gyratory and doing a bit of traffic jamming just before I got home.

Update: I think it might've been off for quite a while. It only took 30 mins to charge the batteries up.

domtyler

Über Member
I've done similar things a few times. As long as you have reflectors/reflectives, in urban areas you will be fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I thought you'd lost the battery pack for a minute....doh....... Do you use any backups....... - I have extra LEDs front and rear plus the little micro ones on my rucksack

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I do have a backup, got a Smart Superflash right underneath it. I just didn't notice the Dinotte had gone out.

From now on they're both going on.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The unlit guy I saw yesterday was doing a better job of it. He was riding unlit, wrong-way, texting, smoking (ok: the cigarette was in his mouth- so he could text and ride). Then he mounted the pavement to continue right (the street's one-way because it joins a dual carriageway).

CarnageAX

I see loads of cyclists in and around manchester with no front or rear lights. Not because they have forgotten them or not switched them on, they just feel they don't NEED them. How do they survive, without a helmet most of the time too. DOh..

Arch

Married to Night Train
PrettyboyTim said:
I've been tempted by Reelights for just that very reason. Never get caught out without some kind of light on your bike.

I think Pete's reviewing them for the next Velovision

The little Backupz type (single LED, elastic mounting) are handy, I have a pair, they fix to any bike without a bracket, or can fit to a helmet or rucksack and are so small they are easy to carry about with you. Now I'm on my dynamo lit bike I have the white one on the bars to serve when I'm stopped and the front light is out, and the other (red) on my helmet as a double (my rear light has a standlight, so doesn't go out when I stop)

Tynan

Veteran
yes

only got a single front and back at present but I'm defo going for a second of each, they're so cheap and effective

and helmet lights too, I seen the odd one in action and they're very effective

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Because my commute is on well lit city roads the need to see is not as important as the need to be seen so my bike is covered in flashing Knogs; Frogs, Bullfrogs & Toads, and I have to say they are very effective and the natty way they rubberband on to things is very versatile although the Frog on my helmet is held on with velcro.

Top Bottom