Unlit trails

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soup890

Crazy
Does anyone cycle home in the dark unlit trails, is it safe, any dangers to watch out for?

Reason why I ask is because I'm tired of cycling on the road after nearly getting hit by a van on a roundabout about. I just want to remain safe at all times.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you have decent lights off road is in someways easier than unlit roads. You don't get your vision washed out by car headlights so you actually see where you are going better on less lumens. My first proper mtb night ride on a local red run with a few cc'ers the other week made me realise this when compared to my commute on unlit country lanes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yup, blooming love it. When on the road bike I use 3.5 miles of old rail line which is tarmaced, when on the MTB I take in another 4 proper off road miles in the dark on my commute.

Good lights is all you need. These chinese T6's are fine.

You'll get to spot a few foxes and other wildlife. The good news is the lights make squirrels scarper, rather than hang about then diving through your wheels.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
it's a hoot give it a go. I'm another chinese T6 fan- just be sure and charge them up after an hour at most switched on or you'll find yourself completely in the dark without warning

watch out for overhanging branches that you might not spot as easily as in daylight and you're good to go.

A good backup too see by and be seen by light is a Cateye Volt 300. you'll not be going full tilt in pitch dark but its good enough to keep you moving safely at a decent lick and civilised enough for on the road use too without hurting fellow travellers eyes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom