Unpadded Longs Under Bib-Shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

My current setup of waist tights over waist shorts are not really working out as they don't stay fast where they should.

I want to get a pair of club bib-tights for my club rides, but there's not much point if they're under my longs! Is it SO essential to keep the pad right on the skin or would longs between be OK as long as the pad was still 'in place'? I realise that this is probably person-specific but I'd like to hear some views on it before dropping £50 on some shorts.

Thanks.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This a subject that is, well errh, close to my bum really. For years, I've worn bib tights on longish rides in coldish weather, wearing thermal longs underneath them. A month ago, I did the same. Alas, it was a warm night, I got a bit sweaty, and the seams on the thermals started sawing into the flesh between the very top of my thigh and the bottom of my right buttock. I thought that my bum was "well 'ard" after five years of regular riding. It wasn't. Days of Sudocrem's soothing fingers seem to have just about sorted it out, but it really isn't worth it. Don't wear thermals under your bibs....please believe me...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Where on Earth were you a month ago that you felt the need for a double layer?

It was the sweatiness that caused your problem - I got chafing and soreness one day on C2C in my regular shorts and on my regular saddle and it was because I had kept on my waterproof and allowed myself to overheat. I stopped to rest, cool down and dry off and the chafing stopped.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Although not a season cyclist like others, I've done a few sixty milers and I always wear sports kegs under my bib shorts and never a problem.

That said, why would you wear something else under your skin tight layer. Surely it obvious leggings/longs would go on top as a "second" layer. Also means you can pull over and whip them off if needed

I have thermal cycling longs which are designed to be worn under normal longs (so they are under the pad) for when life is rather colder. they don't rub at all. sadly there is no label in them at all, so I can't tell you what make they are.

Could you not just wear leg warmers under the shorts? You can get wind & water resistant ones now.

zacklaws

Guru
A couple of months back, I suddenly realised, after about 8 miles on a 240 mile ride, that I had forgot to put my padded bib shorts on under my unpadded tights, rather than turn back and loose a lot of time, I prepared to suffer and carried on. It was not till well after the finish, that I remembered what I had done. In the whole of 240 miles, I suffered no discomfort of any description and had one of the most comfortable rides that I have ever had. Usually I will wear unpadded up to about 100 miles and sometimes the seams can start to chaff.

Another peculiarity that I have noticed is that padded bib shorts that are uncomfortable on there own, even over a short distance, can be absolutley brilliant worn underneath tights and you can do hundreds of miles on them with no discomfort.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I still wear clean underpants every day no matter if I'm cycling or not, none of this 'commando' for me. xx(

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
In the winter I will quite often wear unpadded roubaix bib tights under padded shorts. The other way around and it can be incredibly slippery on the saddle (the padded bibs hold the tights in place). I have not suffered any ill effects on longish 100k+ rides. People have worn unpadded cycling kit for years with no issues. Caveat, the tights must be clean.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's not about the padding, it's about staying WRINKLE FREE. A good pad is not thick and filled with gel, which will make you sweat and will chafe. A good pad is stiff enough to stay smooth next to the skin without wrinkling, while conforming to the shape of the saddle. Simples.

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

Thanks a lot for the responses everyone, I would just get the club longs but I know that as the temperature drops I'll want another layer and be faced with the same issue.

Since everyone has had different experiences, I suppose the answer is to buy the bib shorts and give the tights a go under them, worst case scenario is that I have some bib shorts for the summer.

Another good idea would be to find a pair designed to be worn that way, as @SatNavSaysStraightOn said, and keep the vaeron roubaixs for going on top of those for really cood days.

U

User6179

A couple of months back, I suddenly realised, after about 8 miles on a 240 mile ride, that I had forgot to put my padded bib shorts on under my unpadded tights, rather than turn back and loose a lot of time, I prepared to suffer and carried on. It was not till well after the finish, that I remembered what I had done. In the whole of 240 miles, I suffered no discomfort of any description and had one of the most comfortable rides that I have ever had. Usually I will wear unpadded up to about 100 miles and sometimes the seams can start to chaff.

Another peculiarity that I have noticed is that padded bib shorts that are uncomfortable on there own, even over a short distance, can be absolutley brilliant worn underneath tights and you can do hundreds of miles on them with no discomfort.

Its not really peculiar that wearing two layers are better , most discomfort is caused by friction on long rides as am sure you know, so wearing two layers stops friction occurring as the layer of clothing next to your skin takes the friction your skin would normally take .

zacklaws

Guru
Its not really peculiar that wearing two layers are better , most discomfort is caused by friction on long rides as am sure you know, so wearing two layers stops friction occurring as the layer of clothing next to your skin takes the friction your skin would normally take .

I'm reffering to bib shorts that are totally useless on their own, which you rarely wear because of the discomfort are totally different under tights and not bib shorts that are comfortable on their own or as well as under tights. So the point I was trying to make was, those rubbish shorts you have that you never wear, try them under tights in the colder months to wear out and then you can save your best ones for the warmer months.

Top Bottom