Unsure how to set up basic forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colin-java

Regular
Hi, I have these low entry forks.. SR Suntour XCT-100-29 on a Cannondale trial 6.

They are spring forks, with 2 dial things at the top of each fork.

one way is + and the other is - (I think the right fork is the other way round, but don't have bike in front of me right now)

So my question is, do the dials both control the stiffness, or is the left one for stiffness, and the right one for the rebound like with the air type suspension forks I've been looking at on youtube?

And the dials seem to turn round and round indefinitely, so I donno if that makes a difference or not, or does it depends on the direction is the line is pointing as opposed to how many turns made?

Thanks for advice, I'm obviously a noob with forks.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The company blurb tells us the fork is adjustable for coil preload and travel adjust.

The left hand knob/dial sets the preload, by making the spring stiffer or softer. Turn the dial all the way to the minus sign for soft, and increase stiffness by turning towards the lus sign. It will turn several complete revolutions, and you want the fork to compress about a third of the way when you sit or stand on the bike.

I'm a bit sceptical about the travel adjust, but suspect the right hand dial affects the fork compression, possibly by restricting the amount the fork compresses through its travel. Turn the dial all the way to the minus and lean on the bars, preferably with the preload wound to minimum. Note how far the fork slides into the lowers. Then wind it all the way to the plus sign and see what happens. If it becomes increasingly hard to compress the fork, then personally I'd leave it at a lowest setting.

Suntour are not adjustable for rebound,

Last edited:

Stantheman

On my old sun tour fork one dial was preload and the other was the lock out. The lock out keeps the fork stiff for on road travel.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Another check of Suntour catalogue shows there is a hydraulic lockout version. If yours are the HLO version, the right dial will stop the fork compressing altogether. If the dial doesn't do anything, it's broken.

Stantheman

Mine were from 2012, pretty rubbish to be honest. I now have a set of kinesis ridged forks on instead.

OP
OP
C

colin-java

Regular
Thanks for repies, I seem to have the left fully on +, and the right fully on -, and I think its stiffened up a bit.
Its a bit hard to compare the difference sometimes though, I can try with the right on plus as well.

I originally thought each dial was the stiffness for each fork, but thats probably not the case.

I'm thinking of getting new forks, possibly with remote lockout, and about 1kg lighter would be better.
Not sure whats compatible with my frame yet though, I know its 1-1/8" though for the headset.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Thanks for repies, I seem to have the left fully on +, and the right fully on -, and I think its stiffened up a bit.
Its a bit hard to compare the difference sometimes though, I can try with the right on plus as well.

I originally thought each dial was the stiffness for each fork, but thats probably not the case.

I'm thinking of getting new forks, possibly with remote lockout, and about 1kg lighter would be better.
Not sure whats compatible with my frame yet though, I know its 1-1/8" though for the headset.
On most forks the left leg is the spring, eithercoil or an air chamber, and the right leg holds the compression damper.

Suntour are pretty basic, unless you go for their airsprung one. Compatibility is down to steerer length and diameter, wheel size, Dropout or axle.standard, and length of travel. Some frames are only designed to work within set travel limits.

Don't bother.with remote lockout. Only clutters up the bars and rarely works when you want it!

OP
OP
C

colin-java

Regular
Its hard to tell the difference whichever way I turn the right dial.

I guess remote lockout is a bit of a gimmick, unless you have to switch frequently.
I kinda like having lots of gadgets and things on the bike though..
On my handlebars I have front light, then an SRAM bracket for Garmin Edge 200, then another cheaper computer on the right side.
I wouldn't mind another front light, so I can light up a bigger area, but would have to move the computer somewhere else, so might not bother.

I haven't had bike that long, so I won't be upgrading the forks for a while.

Top Bottom