Unusual wheel failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That's genius! I assume it works by jamming the locking to the dropout and then you turn the crank, having selected 1st gear? I can see how this could cause worse damage but if used judiciously it seems like a good idea.

fine on a steel frame, but for anything that uses a mech hanger, it would just wreck the hanger.

C R

Guru
fine on a steel frame, but for anything that uses a mech hanger, it would just wreck the hanger.

The text says that it will only work with steel frames that have an integral hanger, that rather limits the target market, and rules out it being useful for the OP.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
The text says that it will only work with steel frames that have an integral hanger, that rather limits the target market, and rules out it being useful for the OP.

Ah, good point - this frame is carbon. I do, however, have a steel frame with integral hanger although I'm not sure why I might want to remove the cassette in the wild for that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ah, good point - this frame is carbon. I do, however, have a steel frame with integral dropout although I'm not sure why I might want to remove the cassette in the wild for that one.

maybe its for people that tour for such a long period that they wear their cassette out and thus need to carry a spare and replace mid tour, and not forgetting its probably just the subset of these people that aren't passing a bike shop that would supply and fit one....:okay:

One of my bikes has a Maillard helicomatic hub, that has its own special tool, which is quite lightweight to carry in a saddle bag, and the opposite end is a bottle opener. That is very useful to carry with you!

si_c

Guru
maybe its for people that tour for such a long period that they wear their cassette out and thus need to carry a spare and replace mid tour, and not forgetting its probably just the subset of these people that aren't passing a bike shop that would supply and fit one....:okay:

One of my bikes has a Maillard helicomatic hub, that has its own special tool, which is quite lightweight to carry in a saddle bag, and the opposite end is a bottle opener. That is very useful to carry with you!

Also useful if you needed to replace a spoke.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Or if the chain somehow got jammed between the biggest sprocket and the spokes. That happened to someone on a Friday Night Ride to the Coast once but thankfully someone else was equipped with one of those gizmos.

At least I think that's what happened. I'm just relying on my memory of accounts of the incident over breakfast. But something odd happened and the gizmo saved the day.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, this might help.

I wouldn't even use that on my steel frames. Asking for trouble

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've used a NBT on both steel & Ti frames (with integral hangers) without any issues.
The splines will only fit Shimano lockrings, although they are rather crudely cast.
That said I did at one point dremel a Campag lockring so that it could (in extremis) be used in conjunction with the NBT !

Unior do a version (1669/4) that includes a handy spoke wrench - I imagine it only works on Shimano lockrings, but I've not had occasion to try, as my only remaining Campag wheels are 400 miles away

Top Bottom