Unusual wheel failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I went out last night for my weekly ride with the village MTB group, looking forward to ~20 miles in good weather and a pub at the end. Unfortunately after about 5 miles we were in a wooded area on some singletrack and I caught an exposed stump - there was an immediate rubbing sound from the rear tyre on the frame so I stopped.

I thought that the QR had shifted so loosed and refitted it but this didn’t help. On removing the wheel completely it was obvious the axle was knackered so I called for recovery and the group went on without me.

At home I investigated further and found the problem:

87201A3F-6EEA-4BB8-944E-DA3BA2086104.jpeg

B981732D-9CF8-4D46-8BDA-582CA9D2FEA0.jpeg

This is, or was, a QR adaptor on the end of the axle. It’s a Superstar V3 hub with a through-axle which is adapted for QR by one of these each end - this was on the drive side. I have a new pair on order and as far as I can tell, pushing a new one on will fix it. It’s a thin gauge of metal though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You'd think they would machine it from a single piece that pushed in with a hole for the skewer, that design looks crap

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Just to add, my recall of the event is that I caught the drive side crank on the stump - and hard - I assume this transferred the shock load down the chain to the cassette and hub and this possibly-weakened adaptor sheared. As someone else put it last night, at least it saved the axle/bearings etc but as noted above, it’s an MTB hub that ought to be able to take a knock.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
Just to add, my recall of the event is that I caught the drive side crank on the stump - and hard - I assume this transferred the shock load down the chain to the cassette and hub and this possibly-weakened adaptor sheared. As someone else put it last night, at least it saved the axle/bearings etc but as noted above, it’s an MTB hub that ought to be able to take a knock.

Regular inspection of the state of the adaptor may be needed to catch failure before it happens. Probably a bit of a ball ache if you need to take the lockring out to inspect.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Regular inspection of the state of the adaptor may be needed to catch failure before it happens. Probably a bit of a ball ache if you need to take the lockring out to inspect.

It will certainly be added to my list-of-things-to-check-when-I-do-a-more-involved-once-over.

Reactions: C R

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Does look a bit thin. The ones on my Hope Pro 4s are a lot thicker, although these also aren't one piece

Attachments

• Hope-Pro-2-Evo-MTB-Rear-Wheel-Axle-Conversion-Kit-Wheel-Hub-Spares-Black-Silver-HUB238.jpg
    Hope-Pro-2-Evo-MTB-Rear-Wheel-Axle-Conversion-Kit-Wheel-Hub-Spares-Black-Silver-HUB238.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom