Update on my Mercian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
my20mercian-10_zpsfdic6vyb.jpg

This is my mercian, nearly finished. I've done some extensive remodelling cos I wasn't getting on with downtube shifters , which is odd since I've used them all my life up until 3yrs ago!

my20mercian-14_zpsjhcsxvhd.jpg

Since the frame was built in 1993, I decided to go the brake shifters route using 90's components. The shifters are 8 speed 105 (600/ultegra stuff was way prettier but way way more expensive)
my%20mercian-12_zpsiwzoadls.jpg

Derailleurs are RX100, which is basically 105 but silver. I've added a 11-30t cassette to new wheels, which I think kinda work.
my%20mercian-11_zpsfxobvr0o.jpg

Reason why I went for new wheels was twofold: firstly, I wasn't sure how to go about converting my hub to hyperglide (and didn't know whether it was a good idea to mess with a perfectly nice set of 80's handbuilt wheels); and secondly, I weigh about 120 kg and felt that new wheels were safer.

I'm rather pleased with the result - the wheels aren't as nice as the originals, but hey ho - the wheels and 8 speed block add a bit of weight but the silky smooth modern hubs hopefully offset that a bit (and besides, I'm 18 stone remember!). The gear change is amazing, as good as my modern bike. My favourite change though is the black bar tape!
All that's left to do now is I'm gonna swap the brakes over for dual pivots - the front will be period rsx and the back's gonna have to be an ultra long reach job - again for reasons of safely handling my not inconsiderable mass, and of course, the saddle will eventually be replaced by something more in keeping with its age.
I'm sure some of you have strong views about modernising classic bikes, and I respect that, but I didn't buy it just to look at. I now have a steed that's [almost] completely 90's which rides like a dream: in my books, job's a good'un!
My wife jokingly said that there's nothing original left on the bike, so we now call it "Trigger's broom"

Mrs M

Guru
Well done, very smart :smile:

midlife

Guru
Classy :smile:. The frame looks a lot earlier than 1993 with the nutted brakes, long dropouts and over bb cable guides.

Shaun

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Yes Shaun, it's a bit of a mystery that. I've kind of come to the conclusion that it was a replacement frame for some reason; the bike's original wheels are mercian built but the hubs are 80's, hence the uniglide! I say original, they may not have been the actual original wheels cos the rear is set for 27" I think

Bucket

Good job.
it's your bike forget the original stuff.
I put the components on mine that I like.

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Thanks for all the kind responses, I thought I might've become an instant pariah when I showed what I've done to the bike!
Fitted an RSX brake caliper to the front this afternoon. it looks much nicer than the dura ace brakes that were on it, and even better, it actually stops me! I went to drill the back of the fork out for the recessed nut and found it already fitted, so that was nice.

edit: Oh and the nasty stickers have now gone from the wheels

Top Bottom