Update to Pioneer project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I had every intention of keeping the Pioneer original but the 15 year old friction shifters were prone to slipping despite adjusting the tensioner so I replaced them with new shimano rapid fire shifters, new ergo grips and bar ends plus after giving the frame a good T-cut and polish I also replaced the frame stickers. So here are the before and after pictures.

The bike as I got it.
DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG
DSC_0067.JPG
DSC_0068.JPG

festival

Über Member
A few questions and observations.....

You need to adjust the brake levers down, (similar to the original photo) making a more comfortable and efficient position for braking and gear changing.
Trim the rear derailleur cable and cap it.
Same with some of the too long mudguard stays.
No need to run the chain in the big chain ring and lower gears as pictured, just creates friction.
These models are from the early 90's so a lot more than 15 years old.
Hows the wear and tear on the chainrings, chain and freewheel ?
Also, play in the head set, bottom bracket, wear in the pedals, wheel rims and hubs ?
Having the saddle right down with a saddle bag as you do, limits the position you have placed the rear light, might be obscured from certain angles?
Talking of the saddle height, is this bike too big for you ?
Apologies for being nosy, did you buy it ?

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
A few questions and observations.....

You need to adjust the brake levers down, (similar to the original photo) making a more comfortable and efficient position for braking and gear changing.
Trim the rear derailleur cable and cap it.
Same with some of the too long mudguard stays.
No need to run the chain in the big chain ring and lower gears as pictured, just creates friction.
These models are from the early 90's so a lot more than 15 years old.
Hows the wear and tear on the chainrings, chain and freewheel ?
Also, play in the head set, bottom bracket, wear in the pedals, wheel rims and hubs ?
Having the saddle right down with a saddle bag as you do, limits the position you have placed the rear light, might be obscured from certain angles?
Talking of the saddle height, is this bike too big for you ?
Apologies for being nosy, did you buy it ?

Brake levers adjusted,
Will be getting some cable caps and then trimming (left like that as I didn't have enough caps and didn't want them to fray)
Mudguard stays trimmed.
I never run the chain in that combo, was just indexing the gears and it finished up like that.
Serial number 0130126 , I worked it out as 2001 , I might well be wrong.
All bearings , hubs , rims checked, also the BB and chainwheels and freewheel all running very smooth with no play and just nominal wear. (the bike has been well looked after)
Waiting for new leather saddle to arrive so haven't bothered setting saddle height as yet.
I can stand over the frame although it is at my limit at 21" (53.3cm).
I bought the bike about a week ago for £35.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Serial number 0130126 , I worked it out as 2001 , I might well be wrong.
I believe you are a little bit wrong. The lugged frame makes it a much earlier version than mine which is from 1997 and after a little searching I've found your model and colour scheme listed in the 1991 Raleigh catalogue: LINK (See page 13).:okay:

It's in great condition for a 25 year old bike.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I believe you are a little bit wrong. The lugged frame makes it a much earlier version than mine which is from 1997 and after a little searching I've found your model and colour scheme listed in the 1991 Raleigh catalogue: LINK (See page 13).:okay:

It's in great condition for a 25 year old bike.

Thanks for the info, i have been trying to pin the age of the bike down and now finding it is twenty five years old I am even more impressed than I already was. I also found a link to the same bike being sold on ebay listed as circa 1990, it would appear apart from the modifications that I have done it is still completely original, quite impressive for a quarter of a century old bike.
Bit of a bargain too by all accounts. (I paid £35 for it)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looking good Steve, they are a bit addictive those old Raleigh's though. :becool:

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
@raleighnut , I am considering replacing the big chain wheel with a 50T or maybe a 52T my lbs reckons it would be pretty straight forward to do, any opinion or suggestions?
or maybe just replace the crankset?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@raleighnut , I am considering replacing the big chain wheel with a 50T or maybe a 52T my lbs reckons it would be pretty straight forward to do, any opinion or suggestions?
TBH I'd stick a Deore crank on it, it'll mean going to an external (Hollowtech 11) bottom bracket but that is what I've ended up with on the 'Outlander'.
If you can find an Aluminium crank with square taper then fit that but when you take off the crankset that is on there for gawds sake don't drop it on yer foot.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
TBH I'd stick a Deore crank on it, it'll mean going to an external (Hollowtech 11) bottom bracket but that is what I've ended up with on the 'Outlander'.
If you can find an Aluminium crank with square taper then fit that but when you take off the crankset that is on there for gawds sake don't drop it on yer foot.
Lol, I will bear that in mind, thanks.

Looks good;we've been looking for something similar(not just Raleighs) for the better half but nothing about in her size around our neck of the woods.

FWIW I picked up a s/h square taper FSA CX crankset for £20 for my Trek hybrid,only needed the outer ring replacing with a Stronglight 48t one which I already had.

Reckon that saddle could probably go up quite a bit unless you like a sit-up and beg style of course.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Looks good;we've been looking for something similar(not just Raleighs) for the better half but nothing about in her size around our neck of the woods.
What size you looking for and what area are you in?

FWIW I picked up a s/h square taper FSA CX crankset for £20 for my Trek hybrid,only needed the outer ring replacing with a Stronglight 48t one which I already had.

Reckon that saddle could probably go up quite a bit unless you like a sit-up and beg style of course.

That saddle height is just right for leisurely cycling along the towpaths etc,

I have this for hurtling along the roads,
V V V V

Attachments

• DSCF3030.JPG
    DSCF3030.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0034.JPG
    DSC_0034.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Top Bottom