updating my Stumpy FSR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hello

My '04 Stumpy FSR is in need of a service. Everything still works perfectly, believe it or not, and I've only changed the bars and brakes. It's still on its original chain, BB, gear cables and tyres, and the shock and forks have never been serviced. There isn't even any play in the suspension pivots.

Ok, fair enough, I didn't ride it much til recently!

Anyway it's getting embarrassing so I'm going to treat it to an update soon.

The original fork travel was 80/100mm but I'd quite like to fit 120 ones. I figure it would be a good idea to have a slightly higher BB, and I doubt it would screw up the geometry too much...

?

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Can anyone recommend a good 120mm fork? Assuming I come into some money in the next year or so.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Fox-> Rock Shox -> the rest. Your budget will probs drive the decision,

What makes a fork good in your view? Plushness, tweekability, lockout, remotes, rigidity of steering. What's your budget? Why do you think you'd benefit from more travel up front? Are you prepared to get a new front wheel if you buy a Maxle fork?

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
The forks are a bit crappy, though I haven't had too many problems with them. I thought I'd build a cheap hardtail with them and buy a better set for the Stumpy (like I said, when I've got some cash).

I thought while I was at it I'd go for slightly more travel, as I'm a bit more confident these days. Plus I always thought the BB was on the low side.

I don't need lockout; I wouldn't use it. Some adjustability would be good though.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Hello

My '04 Stumpy FSR is in need of a service. Everything still works perfectly, believe it or not, and I've only changed the bars and brakes. It's still on its original chain, BB, gear cables and tyres, and the shock and forks have never been serviced. There isn't even any play in the suspension pivots.

Ok, fair enough, I didn't ride it much til recently!

Anyway it's getting embarrassing so I'm going to treat it to an update soon.

The original fork travel was 80/100mm but I'd quite like to fit 120 ones. I figure it would be a good idea to have a slightly higher BB, and I doubt it would screw up the geometry too much...

?

I think only the Pro model Stumpy in 04 was disc spec? If yours isn't then getting the best new forks would mean getting new disc front wheel too, because very few, if any, quality forks have V brake bosses today.

Why is it getting embarrassing? In a few years it could become another cool vintage fs rig around, if not already! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Well, it still looks modern, and I doubt any of the later ones are a massive improvement (someone will no doubt disagree at this point)!

Only the base model FSR had Vbrakes which was why I chose it. I didn't like discs at the time (I remain unconvinced from an engineering perspective) but I got the chance of a cheap set of Avids a couple of years back.

I'd probably buy new wheels though, and put the old ones on the hardtail I'd be building. Again, though - they've never given any problems and never been trued.

What a great bike it's been.

Drago

Legendary Member
How will you alter the rear suspension to account for the extra travel up front? Within certain limits its not a geometry issue, but one of spring rate and damping for the rear shoch that can make a nasty mess in these situations.

Its also worth checking the rearvaxle path - you don't want a longer travel fork if your axle path shortens the wheelbase at the limit of its travel or you will get a mess. There's a lot to think about or it is very easy to worsen the whole plot.

TBH, forks need servicing every 50-100 off road riding hours, so a pro service and a revalve/respring to suit your weight would be cheaper and bring more tangible gains.

Top Bottom