Upgrade dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpembroke

My 'cross bike needs new STis. Currently it is fitted with an ancient set of 8 speed Shimano 600 (sort of Ultegra-grade I believe), which work (sort of - I have to double shift most of the time) but rattle like mad (not great in a race). So, it's time to upgrade. However, new units are so expensive now. My options are: a) stick with 8 speed and get some new r500 8 speed STis, ;) go 9 speed and get some Tiagra shifters (+ new cassette and chain), or go for broke (quite literally) and go 10 speed (I assume this will require a new rear mech as well as cassette and chain so I'm not keen).

Any thoughts? Quality of R500 shifters vs Tiagras? Benefits of going for 10 speed? etc etc.

Young Un

Wouldn't go for 10 speed for cross, especially if you're not changing bikes. The cassette is too narrow, as are the chains and they just get clogged with mud leading to broken rear mechs/snapped frame hangers and even snapped frames. Stick to 9 speed or 8 speed IMHO!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
R500 8-speed
The advantage of staying 8 speed is that the cassettes and chains are quite a bit cheaper than 9 or 10.

You could Shimergo (using 10-speed Campag levers) which works fine with 8 speed shimano, or 9 if you fiddle the cable clamp. You get to change your mind between 8 & 9 with no added cost beyond the cassette, but you'd have to get used to the different shifting, and there can be issues with front shifting depending on what model/vintage of ergo you get.

Edit:
Rattling can be due to sticky brake cables. The whole shifting mechanism is attached to the brake lever and depends to a fair degree on the tension in the brake cable to hold it up.

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

Thanks, I'm set on the r500 8 speed shifters now. I like 8 speed's ease of set-up; and as you say cassettes and chains are cheaper. I doubt 8 speed will be disappearing off the map anytime soon.

The rattling of my existing STis is simply down to the fact they are falling apart and battered - cable tension is spot on. They are circa 1997 so I can't moan really.

Top Bottom