Upgrade from 2006 Canondale Six13 Team Edition?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benji77

Hi, I have a 2006 Canondale Six13 Team Edition, which has been my pride and joy. I recently had it checked over by a carbon frame repair company after not using it for a few years, and structurally it's all good - just needs a new coat of lacquer.

My doubt is whether it's worth spending £300-400 in the re-lacquer... or whether I could get a truly superior frame for a bit more. I think the frameset is still light-ish by today's standards (~1.5 - 1.6kg for frame and fork). It's kitted out with Dura-ace 10 speed and 2018 Ksyrium Elite Wheels. It really looks the part and is great to ride...

But could I be getting a lot more performance with a mode modern frame? I am not going to be doing any serious racing - mostly Sportives (Etape de Tour, Marmotte etc).

Any advice very welcome!!

Here's the original bike (minus upgrades): https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=11772

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I personally wouldn't spend money on a repaint unless you are very, very emotionally attached to the bike. I paid £200 for a 2007 Giant carbon road bike a few months ago. It also has Kysyrium wheels. Your bike is probably worth a fair bit more - but having it painted won't add much value. If you fancy a change, I would look for a newer used bike. Maybe try a few new ones in Evans and look for a used version of the ones you like?

You could just buy a new frame but whenever I have looked at frame prices they seem expensive compared to what a complete bike costs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Benji77

Benji77

I personally wouldn't spend money on a repaint unless you are very, very emotionally attached to the bike. I paid £200 for a 2007 Giant carbon road bike a few months ago. It also has Kysyrium wheels. Your bike is probably worth a fair bit more - but having it painted won't add much value. If you fancy a change, I would look for a newer used bike. Maybe try a few new ones in Evans and look for a used version of the ones you like?

You could just buy a new frame but whenever I have looked at frame prices they seem expensive compared to what a complete bike costs.

Thanks, it's because frames are generally expensive that I was wondering about restoring mine. It's structurally good, but if I am going to keep it, I'd want to bring it back to looking new as it's a bit tired. The bike weighs about 7.4kg (minus pedals), so pretty light still by today's standards. I was just curious as to whether modern day frames would be a lot faster than mine - based more on aerodynamics than weight I guess as mine is not so heavy. If so, I would set about looking for a second hand replacement - something 2-3 years ond, little use and in the £500 bracket.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
There's a nice nearly new Ribble bike in the For Sale ads on here for around £500 that seems good value, but the spec of your bike is higher in certain respects obviously. Your bike gets great reviews and I'm not sure bikes have come on aerodynamically that much in ten years, it would be more a question of whether a new/different bike felt like an upgrade and a good/better fit. I think looking at a few in a big bike shop might help you decide whether spending X ££££ on a new bike would give you anything different/better.

adamhearn

Veteran
It really looks the part and is great to ride...
You gave yourself the answer :smile:

You do seem awfully fixated on weight and speed even though you don't race. Have an espresso instead of a latte and do a number 2 before you ride and you'll probably be quicker on the Six13 :smile:

Hi, I have a 2006 Canondale Six13 Team Edition, which has been my pride and joy. I recently had it checked over by a carbon frame repair company after not using it for a few years, and structurally it's all good - just needs a new coat of lacquer.

My doubt is whether it's worth spending £300-400 in the re-lacquer... or whether I could get a truly superior frame for a bit more. I think the frameset is still light-ish by today's standards (~1.5 - 1.6kg for frame and fork). It's kitted out with Dura-ace 10 speed and 2018 Ksyrium Elite Wheels. It really looks the part and is great to ride...

But could I be getting a lot more performance with a mode modern frame? I am not going to be doing any serious racing - mostly Sportives (Etape de Tour, Marmotte etc).

Any advice very welcome!!

Here's the original bike (minus upgrades): https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=11772
That's an early carbon bike, you should keep it, I am the same with a 1995 M500, just cannot bear to part with it. Early Cannondales were beautifully made. But things have moved on, I had a 2007 carbon synapse, ultegra, ksyrium wheels etc .. no comparison with latest carbon frames, which are much better in every way, apart from of course when you get attached to a bike then tech advances don't mean much.

Top Bottom