Upgrade my wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I've never spent a lot of money on wheels - it's normally just a case of needing a new one in an emergency and getting the cheapest I can find.

But I've got the hankering of buying a decentish set for my commuter/utility/tourer bike.

I got this hankering after popping into my new LBS and seeing a pair of Fulcrum Racing 7's for cheaper than Wiggle are selling them. The shop was busy so I didn't hang around to ask for advice.

They would be an upgrade on the stock wheels that came with my bog standard Sirrus right?

Are there good alternatives at that price bracket? £100 ish. Any advice is much appreciated.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The first consideration is "are they lighter?" Remove your front wheel, and weigh sans tube and tyre, compare with Fulcrum info.
Secondly, do they offer any aero advantage in terms of rim shape or number/type of spokes.
Thirdly, any evdedence to say that they are particularly flexy under welly or up-hill?
But most important is whether they weigh less.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks for your advice. The rim on them is more aerodynamic and they have less spokes, I've just weighed the back wheel I took off mine recently and the Fulcrum rear wheel is roughly about 100g lighter I reckon, using my not very accurate kitchen scales. I'll do the front tomorrow.

Do you reckon they'd be strong enough for the odd couple of hundred miles a year fully loaded for touring? I'm about 12 stone myself so a few extra kilos of gear isn't going to put too much strain on them for the odd camping trip is it?

I've looked at the Aksiums which I have seen mentioned on here and they are lighter again and dearer. They are more than I want to pay though.

Oh, yes and they are not as red ;).

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Having looked into it further I make it only 3g difference between Aksium and the red ones in favour of the Mavics and over twenty quid difference in favour of the Fulcrums.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
What about some handbuilt wheels? At that price point they'll be better than any factory built wheel.

Harry Rowland might be worth a ring. He builds a great wheel

RedBike

For me it would have to be either camag ventos (you can get a shimano freehub if needed) or a set of handbuilts. You can probably get Tiagra on open sport of the £100 mark.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
I can't comment on the various alternatives but the Askiums are like night and day when compared to the original alex DA16 wheels.

That is just what I wanted to hear :biggrin: Cheers HlaB.

I hadn't thought of handbuilt but will look into that too.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I have to agree with HLAB - after replacing the Alex wheels that came with my SCR2 with Aksiums, it feels like riding a completely different bike. Much smoother ride altogether.

yenrod

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=883312

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/1545

As you may know Longs'..I got a pair of R500's basic and all that, doen a few ton miles on them.

Took some big jars on Saturday when out.

Up to now they are ok.

A while back I was wondering about these...

If I was spending some more money I would have considered these !

Most of the selection for cheap wheels are R500's, Fulcrum 7's, Askiums and some of the Shimano wheels.

Which lets face it: a wheels a wheel.

And there are quite few choices around.

All the best on your choice mate !

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Cheers for the links Yenners :ohmy:.

I phoned the shop today and I got the price wrong :wacko: (or they had and now have changed it). They're twenty quid dearer than I thought and hence not cheaper than Wiggle. Will still pop in on Saturday for a chat though.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Update:

I went to the shop and after a good chat came away with the Fulcrums.
I fitted them on Sunday and had a pootle. I commuted on them today and they are definitely an improvement.

They ride better and I got to work in the same time as some of my quicker trips for less effort and I got over 40mph on a downhill where I was pushing to get 39 previously. Very happy customer :biggrin:.

Top Bottom