Upgrade Sora STI's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fantus

Is it possible to just swap 9spd Sora STI's for a Tiagra set, or is there something I'm missing completely? What would I need to do/get otherwise?
Haven't got much experience with Groupsets and Shimano compatibility across the range.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
No special considerations, it'd be a straight swap.
Probably worth replacing all the cabling at the same time, along with the bar tape.

OP
OP
F

Fantus

Definitely a 9spd. Thanks for the info, figured it would be a straight swap but wasn't sure. Can't afford it yet but nice to know I can when I've got the funds.

Pimperial

I was wondering this myself, but I've got 8spd Sora shifters. Would this mean I'd have to change cassettes/derailleurs etc. if I wanted to upgrade the shifters to Tiagra or similar?

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Pimperial said:
I was wondering this myself, but I've got 8spd Sora shifters. Would this mean I'd have to change cassettes/derailleurs etc. if I wanted to upgrade the shifters to Tiagra or similar?

if changing to 9 (or 10) speed then yes for casette tho you may well be ok for the derailleurs well 8 to 9 anyway .........

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Upgrading Sore 8 to a 9 should be OK.

New cassette, new chain and shifters. I believe the 'pull' of the cable is the same so 8-9 on a rear mech is OK. You may need a 1mm spacer, depending upon the wheels.

The only one that's 'different' was the 8 speed 7400 Dura Ace.....ahem....cough....so you can't go to 9 on that...

Top Bottom