Upgrade to Promax RC476 disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
I have Promax RC476 brakes on a Cannondale Optimo, and they've never been particularly impressive, especially the back which I could never adjust so it could produce skid-inducing braking, just a general slow-down.

The static pad adjuster on one of them has seized and the Allen nut rounded out. I could probably loosen it off but maybe time for some new brakes.

So what would be a worthwhile upgrade to these? Shimano Tiagra brifters if it makes a difference.

Ideally both pads would be adjustable with an Allen key to save messing about with the cable when the pads wear, but realise this could be expensive.

And would the discs themselves need changing at the same time?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Are they mechanical or hydraulic?
Are grifters actually brifters?

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Are they mechanical or hydraulic?
Are grifters actually brifters?

Mechanical, if I ever go to hydraulic it'll be on a new bike.

Had changed grifters to brifters but autocorrect obviously didn't like it. From what I've read it's Promax that are the grifters. :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
TRP Spyres will do what you want, they have dual pads. Don’t think you’d need new rotors unless they are knackered

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
TRP Spyres will do what you want, they have dual pads. Don’t think you’d need new rotors unless they are knackered

Thanks, have had a look, £50 each is more than I was expecting but not ruling it out, guess I could replace one of them.

What would a single piston model be, £30ish?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, have had a look, £50 each is more than I was expecting but not ruling it out, guess I could replace one of them.

No idea, I swapped out BB5s on a previous bike and have TRP Spyres on my 2 disc road bikes.
you could look for used ones or deals / discount codes

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
No idea, I swapped out BB5s on a previous bike and have TRP Spyres on my 2 disc road bikes.
you could look for used ones or deals / discount codes

I fitted a Spyre caliper on the front and the action feels good but the gap between the calipers seems even tighter than on any other disc brakes I've used, no hope of it being rub free from new. Am I best just living with it until the pads wear down a little?

Edit - even just bedding it in reduced the rubbing so I think I'll go with that. If they wear evenly it should be easy to keep them aligned properly.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member

a cheap mechanical disc brake is not a saving, get something decent. Spyres are decent as are TPR HY/RD (cable pulled hydro), ditto the Juin tech's liked above. as are Avid BB7

Top Bottom