Upgrade wheels on £1k road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
As every review seems to day, bikes in this price range tend to be let down by poor wheels. Therefore, I thought I might get some upgrades for mine sometime soon. Any suggestions or how much to spend and what to look out for? Being very tall makes me quite a heavy rider, about 85kg, so I'd want something fairly robust. Weight of the wheels themselves will be less of an issue, though I'm sure they will be lighter than the stock wheels currently on my bike that are well over 2kg for the pair.

I've looked at the Mavic and Fulcrum wheels in the £150 to £300 pound range. Fulcrum Racing 5's seem like good value. Are Mavic Aksiums comparable or are the Ksyriums significantly better?

Psyclist

Über Member
As every review seems to day, bikes in this price range tend to be let down by poor wheels. Therefore, I thought I might get some upgrades for mine sometime soon. Any suggestions or how much to spend and what to look out for? Being very tall makes me quite a heavy rider, about 85kg, so I'd want something fairly robust. Weight of the wheels themselves will be less of an issue, though I'm sure they will be lighter than the stock wheels currently on my bike that are well over 2kg for the pair.

I've looked at the Mavic and Fulcrum wheels in the £150 to £300 pound range. Fulcrum Racing 5's seem like good value. Are Mavic Aksiums comparable or are the Ksyriums significantly better?

Good call, can't go wrong with Fulcrum or Mavic. I'd assume that Ksyriums are better and stiffer, and have straight spokes which are presumably stronger. I know they're a little lighter too.

Other option is to get hand built wheels custom made. They may build some wheels specified to your weight.
Wheelsmith is a good site, you can choose your build, or even ask them which combo would suit you.

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/road-wheels-prices

you haven't actually said what wheels you already have...?

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I was looking at Fulcrum 5's or Mavic Aksium's. I went with the Aksium's, they have been great so far. The stock wheels on my bike (Alexrims) were always going out of true so that is why I changed. The Mavic's have never went out of true and look great with the flat spokes.

Not sure what you are expecting from such an upgrade, but I honestly don't think you will notice any difference, especially if weight is not a consideration - and there's no reason to expect that a £300 wheelset will be significantly better than what you already have. You may see more of a benefit from changing tyres, depending on what is already fitted.

amaferanga

Veteran
Handbuilts. Spend £300 on factory built wheels and after a year or two when the rims are worn out you have to bin them. With some good handbuilts you can just replace the rims.

400bhp

Guru
I'd started a thread about this a month or 2 back. Dig it out. Good replies in there.

See B&Y's reply directly above. You need to be specific as to why you want them? (commute/general road/odd TT/race)...

Pauln

You might want to look at Pro-Lite Bracciano's, around £300 1.5KG in wieght. Not sure what load weight they are rated to though.

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Not sure what you are expecting from such an upgrade, but I honestly don't think you will notice any difference, especially if weight is not a consideration - and there's no reason to expect that a £300 wheelset will be significantly better than what you already have. You may see more of a benefit from changing tyres, depending on what is already fitted.

So you don't think there's much difference between a £100 wheel-set and a £200 or £300 set?

The front wheel is already moving around, laterally, so a friend had suggested it needs a trip to an LBS for some work. That's after just 1000 miles or so, which doesn't give me great confidence in the quality of the hub.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends upon use. If it's on a daily use bike, I'd say handbuilt due to wear - my wheels on my commuter were about £300. Just buy rims and cartridge bearings as needed now, and re-build them myself.

If it's weekend bike, then higher end handbuilts or Factory. Aksiums are pretty good, and the Ksyrium Equipe is the base Ksyrium, but lighter than the Aksium, and stiffer. Then starts the expensive versions. I've got various handbuilts, Aksiums and Ksyrium Equipes plus a set of deep section Carbons. Use the various handbuilts most.

Robeh

Attachments

• arobhales.jpg
    arobhales.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 90
Top Bottom