Upgrades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

I have damaged my front disk rotor and im wanting to get a new one but when looking for one, how do i know what size to get so it fits my mtb?
Please can someone help me.
Thanks

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm only just researching how to fettle with them myself, but so far I know that they come in only a few different diameters, with the vast, vast majority on most adult bikes being 160mm or 180mm. So that's clearly a case of just measuring the diameter of the old rotor.

Then there are two fitting types, there's a centre lock ring (which looks to be commonly the Shimano option) or a 6 bolt fitting. You need to just remove the wheel and have a look at how your old one fits on. To remove, you'll need a cassette lock ring tool for the former, and hex bolt / torx head bolt keys for the latter.

One instruction I've noted and hadn't previously thought about: You need to make sure the rotor is orientated in the right direction, they take the braking load in one direction. There will be an arrow on the rotor indicating direction of travel.

If you're unsure or are lacking the tools, I'd ask your local bike shop to do it. If you fancy a go, there is more detail here:

https://road.cc/content/feature/171890-how-fit-disc-rotors

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

I'm only just researching how to fettle with them myself, but so far I know that they come in only a few different diameters, with the vast, vast majority on most adult bikes being 160mm or 180mm. So that's clearly a case of just measuring the diameter of the old rotor.

Then there are two fitting types, there's a centre lock ring (which looks to be commonly the Shimano option) or a 6 bolt fitting. You need to just remove the wheel and have a look at how your old one fits on. To remove, you'll need a cassette lock ring tool for the former, and hex bolt / torx head bolt keys for the latter.

One instruction I've noted and hadn't previously thought about: You need to make sure the rotor is orientated in the right direction, they take the braking load in one direction. There will be an arrow on the rotor indicating direction of travel.

If you're unsure or are lacking the tools, I'd ask your local bike shop to do it. If you fancy a go, there is more detail here:

https://road.cc/content/feature/171890-how-fit-disc-rotors
how do you measure the diameter
is it just the length of the rotor?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How did you damage the rotor?
In all my years and miles of using disc brakes I have never managed to damage a rotor.
Just interested.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It will say the size on the current rotor, then you just need to look at the fitting. Post a photo side on and we can help with the fitting.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just to add a other complication, what type of lads are you using, resin or sintered (metallic)? The disc types are different and while you can use both types of pad on a sintered disc you are not meant to run metalljc pads on a resin only disc.
Probably simplest just to try and get like for like as a replacement.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

How did you damage the rotor?
In all my years and miles of using disc brakes I have never managed to damage a rotor.
Just interested.
i didnt actually damage it, but i sprayed some gold spray on my forks and, it got onto my rotor, and ever since that, it makes a noise when i ride it

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Can you not clean it off with some thinners / iso alcohol / emery cloth / oil stone ?

EDIT - could also be on your pads, may need to clean or replace
no u can't................as soon as uve sprayed it on and left it for 48hours, u cant get it off

Top Bottom