Upgrading 3x8 to 2x10 Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sotal

Regular
My road bike (8 spd triple) needs lots of bits replacing.

My left shifter keeps sticking.
The bottom bracket is creaking
The chain rings are getting worn and will need replacing before long
The front mech is pretty shot
The cassette will need replacing soon
Cables need replacing

It is rideable at the moment with the front mech being the worst problem as it keeps going out of adjustment. The left shifter is a minor annoyance. It shifts down easy enough but the lever to shift up locks up sometimes.

I'm considering collecting the parts together to upgrade to a more modern setup. This would replace my Sora Shifters which have the little lever on the top, with better proper STI shifters.

I'm looking at either:

Tiagra 2x10 4700
105 2x10 5700

Any thoughts on which would be better including value for money.

I'd like a 34/50 crankset, 11/34 cassette, and the rest to suit. Any thoughts on what would be best or any other viable options. I don't mind 2nd hand but would prefer new cassette/chain/cables/BB

OP
OP
S

sotal

Regular
Also, would a 105 5800 2x11 setup fit?

vickster

Legendary Member
What bike is it? What bottom bracket?
11 speed you’d need new wheels I think which would up the cost considerably
with the 4700, I think there are some issues with compatibility of parts, so 5700 may be better (and possibly cheaper as you can use 4600 mechs and cranks etc).
You need a long cage rear mech for 11-34

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What is the width of your freehub? 105 and Tiara are both Hollowtech so you’ll go to a bb with external bearings. I’m assuming you have a threaded bb and not pressfit otherwise you might need an adapter.

Sharky

Guru
I would be a bit hesitant in changing everything in one go. It sounds as if the bike needs a bit of tlc. New cassette, chain and cables might do wonders. Eight speed kit is going to be a lot cheaper than 11 speed and a triple is a very versatile set up.

If changing so much, might be more cost effective just getting another bike set up as you want.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
All things being equal I'd take the 4700 over the 5700 as it's a good deal newer and seemingly superior better in many respects.

I believe (but by all means check before proceeding!) that 8-10sp freehubs are all the same depth, with 11sp items a little longer / requiring a little more dish on the wheel.. so you should be able to fit 10sp parts to your existing 8sp hubs without issue, but 11sp bits won't fit. However, I believe the 11-34 11sp cassette will fit 10sp hubs as the 34t sprocket is large enough to allow the cassette to be dished and sit slightly inboard of the freehub / over the sprockets - allowing you to run 5800 or 7000 on your existing wheelset.

I'd encourage you to do a bit of research into the groupsets concerned though and whether you really want 11sp; since while "better" on paper many of the consumables are a fair bit more expensive than 10sp equivalents for not really a lot of real-world benefit.

Are you going to replace the brake calipers as well? If not you might also want to investigate shifter cable pull ratios as these changed (I think between 4600 and 4700 / 5700 and 5800) meaning that mis-matched calipers and shifters will compromise your braking.

How do you plan on sourcing components? If the two groupsets you list Tiagra can still obviously be had new (stock permitting) while 5700 is pretty old now and you'll be left scratching around buying used bits individually, which obviously is a lot more hassle.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would tempted to go either 9 speed or jump to 10. You can get used 9 speed groupsets for not a lot of money at all and consumables are really cheap, plus you won't knacker your freehub body. To me 10 speed seems to be the Shimano screw up, different generations have different pull and therefore compatibility, I find consumables to be more expensive than both 9 and 11 speed. If it my my money and I was doing it at a budget, I would go 9 speed.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Or, bite the bullet and get a 'new' bike second hand with exactly what you want but couldn't justify new? + give your old bike to Rcyke y'bike.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The OP needs to share the make/model of bike 'as is' and ideally a link to the version as in year of manufacture/retail sale.
A bike equipped with a triple 8sp could be upgraded to compact 10sp but very likely at an expense 200% more than the value of the bike with an unknackered 8sp set-up. Buying a used groupset, or individual components, would be less expensive but reading the OP I wonder whether the OP has the fettling inclination for such a project. Echoing @Sharky , a better 10sp bike could be bought for rather less than the cost of all the 10sp upgrades.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
cheaper way if you want "proper" stis is claris
You could keep the rest of your components , new BB, new cables, get chain, cassette and chain rings and build it yourself. It may add up and it depends if you shop around as i got a set of claris for £30 off ebay in good nick .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would tempted to go either 9 speed or jump to 10. You can get used 9 speed groupsets for not a lot of money at all and consumables are really cheap, plus you won't knacker your freehub body. To me 10 speed seems to be the Shimano screw up, different generations have different pull and therefore compatibility, I find consumables to be more expensive than both 9 and 11 speed. If it my my money and I was doing it at a budget, I would go 9 speed.
And right on cue :smile::
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/sora-brifters-3x9-button-type-and-8-speed-cassette.263794/

davidphilips

Veteran
Keep an eye on Ebay there are still some great deals, actually sold an almost unused sora 9 speed (shifters and derailleurs) and only got £56 for it, so some one got a great deal,

OP
OP
S

sotal

Regular
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'll try to answer most of the questions below...

It is a Trek 1000SL. Never a hugely expensive bike but I like it and it fits well. It has a 'Super Light' aluminium frame and carbon forks. The bike isn't the lightest ever but isn't too bad at around 9.5kg and as a 95kg 6'2 rider, I'd rather it be sturdy rather than light and flimsy!

It has 130mm drop outs at the back. As someone mentioned above I think the 11-34 11 speed cassette will fit.

The current BB is a threaded square taper BB, it is a VP BC82 68mm shell. 113mm axle width. The hollowtech II BB should fit.

Rims, the current rims aren't the best ever, the breaking surface had got quite rough and I ended up using wet and dry to smooth them out a bit. They brake ok now provided it isn't wet.

I've considered second hand but I can't find anything comparable without spending more money than it would cost to upgrade. If anyone can recommend something then feel free but from everything I've looked at I'll spend a good bit more and then I might need to replace bits on that bike too.

I'd come to the conclusion that I like my current frame, I fit well on it. I was wanting to buy new parts for rings, cassette, chain, cables, bottom brackets and mechs. Then second hand for shifters and cranky arms. I'd consider a full groupset that has done minimal mileage before being upgraded.

I had sort of decided on the 4700. It seems to be at an ok price point, with good specifications. The downside is that it uses 11 speed pull ratios rather than the 10spd SIS that everything else uses so isn't very compatible with other parts.

I had considered just repairing what I have but I had a number of issues...

1. I can't find a front derailleur anywhere that is the right spec and size and fits the big chain ring on my bike.

2. Most of the parts aren't much different cost wise to the newer parts.

3. The parts that I have selected would give me a wider range which I would prefer whilst also weighing a bit less and being more simple.

Top Bottom