Upgrading 700c wheels on a Giant Defy 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Changing the cassette is a useful skill to pick up early in your bike ownership. The tools are not that expensive and in my opinion, worth having. You will need a chain whip and a spanner that fits the end of the cassette. Campag and Shimano need different spanners - so watch out that you get the correct one. Just remove the skewer (the quick release and metal rod) first. You will need to apply a bit of muscle to get the thing moving and when you do watch out that do not leave the skin from your knuckles on the cassette (I think we all have at some time - but you learn from your mistakes!!).

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
monkeypony said:
Thats not a bad price really. The hubs are worth about £130 on their own.

Wont be as good as handbuilt wheels but will do the job very well.

And a darn sight better than the Alex rims you think? Any other recommendations for around that price apart from those mentioned?

Will definitely buy the tools needed to remove the cassette...thanks again one and all, much appreciated.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
aksiums are a decent choice - I got mine 2nd hand with very little mileage on them, from this very forum. Be aware that spokes for them are pricey though.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
What about these...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...2fGmAw&usg=AFQjCNHO6yd-unZsVFoP5HlHJh8QOqzChg

These Eastons above or the Ultegra?

From what I gather and please tell me if I'm wrong, although you could maybe save money by purchasing rims, spokes and hubs separately to make your own handbuilt, if you had to pay someone to do put it all together this would push the cost up considerably yes? I'm not ready to give making my own a go yet...no chance.

Thanks again people.

Top Bottom