"Upgrading" away from tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is definitely a consideration - what, if any, tape is in there and is it going to be compatible with a tube?

Our suppliers label tape as "tubeless compatible" when this is the case, and of course charge more for it as a result.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’ve had tubeless on the front and a tube in the back for a few months now! The back tubeless gave up sealing but had a lot of wear left. Have to say I’ve not noticed any difference in comfort. Other than having to have different repair kits in the carradice it seems fine.

Chislenko

Veteran
I tried tubeless and gave up with it.

If your tubeless came with hard plastic rim tape you will need to change it to normal stuff as there is insufficient room to get the tube in comfortably.

I must add though, I did find the ride quality better on tubeless but couldn't be bothered with the faff.

Venod

Eh up
Hello,
my Hunt wheels came with a Tubeless set up from Hunt the tyres were Schwalbe G-One 30mm Tubeless, but this is a sticky, messy system to deal with and the air pressure needs to be re-inflated each weekend. Is there any reason to just take the tyres off and inset tubes?
Thanks

Yes just put a tube in, but before you do check the inside of the tyre for things that may have protruded the tyre and may be still stuck proud puncturing your new tube in the process.

I had my first puncture for a while in my road tubeless, sealant spurted out and the tyre was flat, my first thought that must be big hole, but it wasn't, a blast of CO2 and I was on my way again with the hole sealed.

Jameshow

Veteran
The problem I find the tubeless wheels I have is that the tyres are a pain to get on which means I only use them on local rides where I can call a lift if needed.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Thanks all. I decided to add some sealant and see if that helps. When I say check inflation I mean it’s completely flat over 5 days. I always by routine check pressures. I’ll stick with tubeless for the time being.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Thanks all. I decided to add some sealant and see if that helps. When I say check inflation I mean it’s completely flat over 5 days. I always by routine check pressures. I’ll stick with tubeless for the time being.
That doesn’t seem right, my tubeless loses some pressure, perhaps 5-10 psi and gets topped up weekly but never goes completely flat. It sounds as if there is a leak somewhere. Have you tried pumping them up really hard to be sure they have popped onto the rim, then deflating to running pressure? I’d also check the seal around the valve.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Indeed. My tubeless tyres go soft faster than tubed ones, but to go completely flat would take a long time. Much longer than a week. A bit of extra sealant won't hurt. You might even see some fizzing out of a little hole or round the valve.

Top Bottom