"Upgrading" away from tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hello,
my Hunt wheels came with a Tubeless set up from Hunt the tyres were Schwalbe G-One 30mm Tubeless, but this is a sticky, messy system to deal with and the air pressure needs to be re-inflated each weekend. Is there any reason to just take the tyres off and inset tubes?
Thanks

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That is all you need to do, well and clean up the inside of the rim

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
To your main question, as @T4tomo says: tyres off, thorough clean up of everything, dry everything, tyres on and tubes in.

But, to your point "needs to be re-inflated each weekend": having put tubes in, I would still check the pressures before use/weekly. It's part of my pre-ride drill whether using tubes or tubeless and tbh I don't really notice a lot of difference between the two systems in that respect.

Sharky

Guru
Presume the wheels have rim tape?
Read some where on here that tubeless tyres don't need rim tape, but using inner tubes definately does.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Tubeless requires leakproof rim tape as it is part of the "seal". A tube require any sort of rim tape to make sure there are no rough pieces of rim (or spoke end on old fashioned single wall rims) that might puncture the tyre.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
One thing that you can be very sure that a tubeless ready wheel has is rim tape! Although you can't guarantee that there won't be any burrs on the inside of the wheel to snag the tube.

OK, There are some true tubeless systems that have an airtight rim bed. But I don't think the OP has one of those.

Edit: Ooops. Cross posted with @T4tomo who said exactly the same thing!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Tubeless tyres can be run with tubes in, but typically won't be feel as nice. In the long term it is best to switch to non-tubeless tyres. However, personally I would stick with tubeless.

Hello,
my Hunt wheels came with a Tubeless set up from Hunt the tyres were Schwalbe G-One 30mm Tubeless, but this is a sticky, messy system to deal with and the air pressure needs to be re-inflated each weekend. Is there any reason to just take the tyres off and inset tubes?
Thanks

Just don't go with latex inner tubes for a faster ride as you will have to pump those every few days.

If its pumping the tyres each week versus taking it all out, cleaning it and still having to pump every other week - I'd probably stick with what you have now.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If its pumping the tyres each week versus taking it all out, cleaning it and still having to pump every other week - I'd probably stick with what you have now.
^ This.

I think that if the need to check pressure before riding is the reason for switching, then personally I wouldn't bother. At least, not until the tyres need replacing. Then I'd buy some clinchers and tubes. In the meantime I'd just keep topping up the sealant. But that's just what I'd do, which doesn't make it right.

Maybe the OP is concerned about potential mess at the roadside if they get a big puncture that won't seal and have to install a tube there That is a possibility.

Installation/removal of tubeless can be a horrible sticky job (particularly if you make a balls-up of it) but it doesn't happen very often. Day to day it's not an issue.

Last edited:
Tubeless tyres can be run with tubes in, but typically won't be feel as nice. In the long term it is best to switch to non-tubeless tyres. However, personally I would stick with tubeless.

Yes (well, mostly ... ). Tubes definitely work better with non-tubeless tyres. My experience at 30mm width is that I prefer tubes, but starting where YOU are starting, I'm not sure I'd bother switching before I'd worn the tyres out.

As another data-point: I don't pump up my 25-28mm tyres every weekend. I do check them though!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As another data-point: I don't pump up my 25-28mm tyres every weekend. I do check them though!

Pedantic/ needlessly nitpicky point. How do you check them? And can you do one without the other? ^_^

I check my tyres by hooking my track pump to them. I have then to press the pump once to open the valve to get a reading on the gauge. So I can't check them without pumping them. (However, I can pump them without checking them, by just not looking at the gauge)

Of course if you have a separate pressure gauge then that's OK. Or if you check them by pressing with your thumb then of course you can check independently of pumping.

Edit to add: I've ridden tubeless tyres (on non-tubeless rims), using tubes. I didn't notice anything interesting (good or bad) about the combination of tubeless tyre and inner tube.

Last edited:
Top Bottom