upgrading brakes....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
just a quicky, am I correct in assuming that were I to take off the set of "bugger all use in the wet Tektro" calipers from what is now my winter road bike, I could simply fit a set of 105's in their place?

I can't see there is anything to prevent this...

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
assuming theyre the same drop should be fine

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
have replaced the blocks, and whilst a slight improvement, nothing like assured braking of the 105's on my Trek, so figured new calipers - especially with all this wet stuff! :smile:

MartinC

Über Member
Couple of things to think of.

What drop are the brakes you need to improve. Bikes with mudguards often have calipers with longer arms than a race bike. Shallow racing brakes have a drop of 49 or 50mm. Medium ones 57mm. You need to measure the drop you need for your frame. Bear in mind that the leverage on shallow drop brakes is more so if your winter bike needs medium drop brakes their performance won't be as good as a your other bike even with the same make of brake.

Brake blocks make an enormous contribution to braking performance, more so than the make of caliper. Find some good ones - Swissstop, Koolstop, Aztec and see if these make a difference.

Tektro brakes aren't necessarily bad. I've had brakes that were rubbish - too much flex in the arms - and replaced them with Tektro ones to good effect.

jimboalee

Simple test for brakes.

Position a hose pipe where you can ride through the spray.

Thouroughly wet the brakes and ride at a good speed into the spray.

Pull both brake levers as hard as you can.

If you land flat on your back in a puddle with the bike on top of you, the brakes are fine. :wacko:

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
and re the other posts about brake blocks, have tried two types and as said it made a difference but still not in the same ball park as the 105's on my other bike... add to that these particular tektro calipers are "cheap" in every sense, and have seen better days - I think the Exmouth Exodus in the rain pretty much did for them :wacko:

jimboalee

Serious now for a moment.

The guy who raced the SWorks before I got it, swapped the original Ultegra calipers for 105s.

There's a matter of 5g in the weight stakes, but the 105s have more stoppingness.

GrahamG

Guru
Definitely time for an upgrade - whilst mid-high level Tektro brakes are fine the cheap as chips/OEM ones are generally pretty poor even after better pads. I'm doing it the other way around, got deep drop Ultegra level calipers but the blocks are dreadful in the wet so koolstop salmons are going on before doing my first 200k audax this weekend in the wind/rain.

Top Bottom