Upgrading groupset to 105 hydraulic brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rustybucket

Veteran
Does anyone know if its possible to upgrade my current groupset on my 2014 cdf 931 to 11speed, hydraulic 105? Not that sure if everything will fit the old frame, which currently has 10speed and cable disc brakes.

I don't want to go ahead and buy the new groupset if it won't fit the bike.

I've already added new 10/11 speed wheels to the bike.

This is my bike:
https://www.evanscycles.com/genesis-croix-de-fer-931-2014-cyclocross-bike-EV200686

And this is the groupset I would like to upgrade to:
https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-105-5800-flat-mount-disc-brake-groupset-50-34-11-32-EV300302

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
When are you looking to do this? If you can wait until January I will have the shifters, callipers, front and rear mechs for an Ultergra set up when I upgrade mine to eTap. They will only be a 100 or so miles old.

avsd

Guru
Yes it will fit but it is a lot of work including setting up/bleeding the hydraulic brakes. I did something similar over the summer moving from cable/hydraulic brakes to full hydraulics and was very pleased with the result.

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Yes it will fit but it is a lot of work including setting up/bleeding the hydraulic brakes. I did something similar over the summer moving from cable/hydraulic brakes to full hydraulics and was very pleased with the result.

Thanks

I'll get someone to do it for me, I'm not that mechanical minded. Just wanted to check everything will fit, before buying!

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
When are you looking to do this? If you can wait until January I will have the shifters, callipers, front and rear mechs for an Ultergra set up when I upgrade mine to eTap. They will only be a 100 or so miles old.

Thanks for the offer, but want to get done next week with the 105 groupset - as long as it fits!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
As per #6

You might need to consider one of the slightly older model Shimano road brake series eg 785's which I think were post mount. I'm not an expert on these things btw so check it out with your LBS or whoever is doing the job for you. Or wait for an expert to appear on here.

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
IMG_2026.JPG
I've just emailed Genesis, hopefully get a reply!

This is the current brakes:

pclay

Veteran
You rear wheel also needs to be able to accept an 11 speed cassette. You can also consider semi-hydraulics such as the TRP HY/RD.

Top Bottom