Upgrading new bike components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamie1996

Hi everyone, I recently bought a GT Avalanche 2.0 2010 model for a good price on ebay.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/avalanche-20-disc-2010-mountain-bike-ec020897

Most the parts are good condition however there are a few things which need replacing;

Rear Derailleur - The bike currently has a Shimano Deore Shadowo. What should i replace this with, does it have to be a shimano derailleur or will other brands work?

Tyres - Both tyres need replacing, most of my rides are on road or slight gravel so i'm thinking of replacing with semi slicks, are the Schwalbe land cruisers good for this?

I will also probably change the chain and possibly front derailleur however the chainset and cassette are both in good condition, are parts compatible even if they're not from the same series?

Thanks

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Tyres - Both tyres need replacing, most of my rides are on road or slight gravel so i'm thinking of replacing with semi slicks, are the Schwalbe land cruisers good for this?

I had the land cruisers on my Kraken. I liked them, but then again I was mostly road riding and came from Conti Mountain king nobblies.

They have a smooth centre for roads, knobbly outers for gravel and rough. I think I set them at about 60psi for the road, and 40-ish for trails and tow paths.

I remember they were hard to get on, but I had forgotten the technique with 15 years off the bike.

Here is a little helper vid for you...

Also... Welcome!

Top Bottom