Upgrading rear mech Sora to tiagra/105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianco

Hi guys

Is this a simple process, I'm currently using an 8 speed chain, cassette etc..

I want to upgrade my rear mech, will I be ok using a 9/10 speed one because I understand the chains are slightly thinner.

Will this still be compatible?

Thanks

Martin

longers

Legendary Member
I did this last month, no problem at all. I went from Sora 8spd to Tiagra 9spd.

The shifting is noticeably smoother.

Monty Dog

The improved smoothness is probably due to the new chain and nothing to do with the mech - it's the shifter that dictates the quality of the 'shift' as well as having a 'clean' cable run. Upgrading gear mechs is probably the most pointless upgrade, better off spending the money on shifters, brakes, contact points but not the gear mechs. I only ever replace gear mechs when they break.

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks Monty Dog, I live and learn eh?

I only replaced it because it was broke though.

OP
OP
B

bianco

longers said:
Thanks Monty Dog, I live and learn eh?

I only replaced it because it was broke though.

Same here, thats why I wanted to upgrade.

About the front mech though, do they differ in quality?

yenrod

longers said:
I did this last month, no problem at all. I went from Sora 8spd to Tiagra 9spd.

The shifting is noticeably smoother.

Interesting you say that as I find Tiagra clunky at times
and am thinking of 105 10sp. stuff.. ;)

shooter560

Monty Dog said:
The improved smoothness is probably due to the new chain and nothing to do with the mech - it's the shifter that dictates the quality of the 'shift' as well as having a 'clean' cable run. Upgrading gear mechs is probably the most pointless upgrade, better off spending the money on shifters, brakes, contact points but not the gear mechs. I only ever replace gear mechs when they break.

I disagree, I've just upgraded from 105 to Ulterga SL and then to Sram Force rear mechs, each upgrade 2 weeks apart did not include any other drive train changes and the smoothness in gear change was noticeable especially when changing under load. I think its all to do with the strength, smooth pivots, lack of flex, better bearings etc that makes the difference I've felt.

gbb

Legendary Member
Monty Dog said:

I can agree with Monty here.
I replaced my chain ONLY on a bike and was really quite surprised how crisp and quiet the whole process became with the new chain.

Thats not to say you wont further improve it with a new mech as well..but great improvement can be made with a chain only.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
shooter560 said:
I disagree, I've just upgraded from 105 to Ulterga SL and then to Sram Force rear mechs, each upgrade 2 weeks apart did not include any other drive train changes and the smoothness in gear change was noticeable especially when changing under load. I think its all to do with the strength, smooth pivots, lack of flex, better bearings etc that makes the difference I've felt.

Err, question...is the rear-mech actually ever under load...the chain from chainring onto the rear-sprocket certainly is under variable load, but the rear-mech is on the slack low-drag chain return side. The only time a rear-mech suffers is at very low chain speeds when the mech moves faster than the chain can move over the cogs...that's irrespective of load surely?

I might be wrong...

Zoom

Über Member
bianco said:
Same here, thats why I wanted to upgrade.

About the front mech though, do they differ in quality?

The other Shimano shifters are noticeably different to Sora; instead of the tiny thumb lever they have a proper finger lever inside of the brake lever. From Tiagra to Dura Ace all seem mechanically identical just differing levels of finish but have never had any of them to bits.

They also do an 8 speed shifter (R 500 I think) that just says Shimano on it but is actually a 105 quality one

http://www.parker-international.co..../GroupID/3/CategoryID/41/referrer/froogle4246

gavintc

Guru
When the Sora was starting to shows some signs of wear, my wife moved from Sora to Veloce. The 'tiny' button replaced by a much more user friendly one. It is certainly worth considering moving to Campag if you are looking for an improvement from Sora. The lower end campag is remarkably competitively priced against Shimano and 10 speed.

Top Bottom