Upgrading Sora to Tiagra or 105.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am thinking about upgrading my trusty Tricross. After 1 year and 3000 miles, I have decided to upgrade the drivetrain components. Levers, chainset, bottom bracket, cassette, chain, front and rear derailleurs.

I have checked out the on-line prices, and Ribble seem to be the cheapest (better than both Wiggle and ChainReaction). The Tiagra components would cost £272. That is for the 4500 series, with 9 speed cassette and triple chainrings.

The 105 components (the new 5700 series) comes in at £375, which is a bit more than I want to pay. That is for 10 speed cassette, and triple chainrings. If it is a whole lot better then I could bite the bullet and save elsewhere (i.e. sorry, no Christmas present again this year, darling! :santa:).

I keep reading varying reviews about the Tiagra. Some say it is just as good as the 105, so why pay the extra £100? Others seem to swear by the 105 stuff.

I am not planning on going racing; just looking for some better quality drivetrain gear, and being able to change up gears while on the drops! Upgrading is also cheaper than my original plan of buying a Secteur Elite. I prefer the versatility of the Tricross in any case, as I plan to do a bit more touring in the summer.

So; is this a worthwhile project, or a waste of money? Any pitfalls to look out for when changing over so many parts?

I know, I know; I should have gone for the better spec bike right from the start. But I wasn't to know how addictive this cycling lark can get :biggrin:.

sparrow101

if your sora set up is 9 speed all you have to do is change the shifters (£152.70 from cycle basket for triple shifters) your chain would prbably need changing after 3000 miles, i had a 105 10spd chain it had worn out in just 600 miles

when i bought my bike (a massi team ) i had choice of groupset 105 or tiagra my lbs said its not worth spending the extra on 105 over tiagra, hence i've got tiagra

Agreed, I'm not a fan of Sora shifters. I've had Tiagra 9 speed on the old bike and put 105 on the new one I built last year. The shifting on 105 is smoother but nothing wrong with Tiagra, however both machines had ultegra cassettes for the few extra pounds it cost.
I put 105 on because the new version was just coming out and there were some bargains to be had, there probably still are.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Unfortunately the Sora gears are 8 speed, so new rear derailleur and cassette needed. So because of new cassette, a new chain also. Could stick with sora chainrings for now, but I figured I might as well do it all in one go....

I priced the older version of 105 (5600 series). It was £35 MORE than the current version :wacko:.

adscrim

Veteran
How about tiagra shifter and cassette with a 105 rear mech? This is what I run on my commuter/winter bike and the shifting is spot on.

I'm looking at taking my 2300 gear up to 10 speed at the other end of the winter and hope I can get away with keeping my chainset and front mech in the short term. Just swapping levers, rear mech cassette and chain. I want closer ratios without loosing range. I might start looking on fleabay after christmas for levers and mech in case people have gotten new gear and are selling off their old components.

I don't know how you feel about pre-loved kit but there are some deals to be had if you're astute.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Personally I'd get the upgrades bit by bit off eBay or the For Sale section - especially the bits that are not subject to that much wear and tear like the mechs.

Last week I bought an almost new Chorus cassette for £8 posted (it was an old 9spd). My current levers were £35 posted off the For Sale section, mechs cost £18 posted, Record chain £11, cranks and Record BB £40 posted. Apart from the levers which are perfectly good everything else was virtually new - total £112 posted.

jay clock

Massive member
I really would not bother. I had a tourer with Sora on and it worked fine for thousands of km. I now have two road bikes - a £3000 BMC with Ultegra and a Trek 1.2 with 2200 levers and a Sora rear mech. For long rides the Trek is not really any different in speed. And if it is not faster, why bother?

I would save your cash towards an additional (and better) bike, the keep the current one.

sparrow101

there's no need to change mechs when upgrading from 8 to 9 or ten speed, i recently changed my 7 spd to 9spd and kept the old 105 mechs

Top Bottom