Upgrading to a "nice" bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dee.jay

Network Ninja
So a few weeks ago, I became a CCIE. For anyone who doesn't know - it's basically an Expert level Networking exam that I spent a lot of time preparing for.

Anyway, as my treat for passing - in a few months time I am going to buy a proper nice bike as while my CBE100 is "OK", I want something awesome. I've had a few ideas for what I want, but basically: -

I want a one-bike for all thing, I'm not too worried about having multiple bikes.
Primarily my 5-8 mile commute is what I want it for.
But I want to be able to use it for other trips about as well - not interested in Mountain Biking.

A good friend of mine has recommended a Genesis Croix de Fer 20 which fits my budget (£1200) as it is a Cyclocross bike for commuters, so it will be handy for other things other than commuting. He also recommended I buy a frameset and build it custom like, but I am unsure of this method. I've not a clue what parts go with what and I've had a look into it and not sure what I need to buy in order to accomplish this.

I am willing to stretch a bit more mooney too if there is something better.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Are you going to use it only on roads or on dirty tracks too?

vickster

Legendary Member
Find your local Whyte dealer and see what sort of deal you can strike.

http://whyte.bike/gb/whyte-dealer-locator/

Someone recently got the Suffolk with a decent discount @JoeyB ?

If you want individual service and a bike specced to you, can't beat Pearsons. Give them a call (try the Sheen branch rather than Sutton and you might get to speak to one of the brothers)

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Find your local Whyte dealer and see what sort of deal you can strike.

http://whyte.bike/gb/whyte-dealer-locator/

Someone recently got the Suffolk with a decent discount @JoeyB ?

If you want individual service and a bike specced to you, can't beat Pearsons. Give them a call (try the Sheen branch rather than Sutton and you might get to speak to one of the brothers)

Yup, I got a 2015 Suffolk for £960 - 20% discount I think from Cycleworld in Portsmouth. They have a few stores but are all down south. It was a January sale special and only on bikes they had physically in store...so I got lucky as they had my size in store! I'm sure you could squeeze them for a 10% discount though. I had another bike store offer 10% off a 2015 Genesis Equilibrium (the yellow one) without any request from me whatsoever!

vickster

Legendary Member
Even if they won't give you a discount, ask for some free/discounted whyte mudguards, a new rack, and some better tyres (the maxxis detonators are a bit poo)

Top Bottom